Chapter 7

"HEY! LEAVE THEM ALONE! IF YOU WANT A FIGHT THEN LET'S FIGHT!" The Alpha pack turned to face the voice intruding in on their little moment with Stiles and Jackson seeing Scott standing with his arms raised. Behind the other Alpha, stood the rest of his pack scattered around him.

Stiles could not believe his eyes, what the f-ing fuck. Holy shit. HOLY SHIT! It's Scott and the pack. What the hell are they doing here? They aren't here to save him and Jackson, right, Stiles thought to himself. Jackson, somehow being able to sense what Stiles was thinking, bumped his nose lightly against Stiles's fist that was clenched by his side.

"Well, well, well, if it isn't the infamous Scott McCall, and what is that? Derek Hale is with you," Kali's smile looked anything but friendly, her tongue snaking out to slide across the tender flesh of her bottom lip. "How lovely, just what we wanted. Who knew that this was all it took to get you here."

The rest of the Alpha pack edged away from Jackson and consequently Stiles, reforming to stand as a unified front to face Scott. Stiles, still shaking and overcome with fear, continues to cling to Jackson like a lifeline, but is no longer as tense, somewhat relaxing into his wolf's side and yet still alert for the second the Alphas make a move for either him or Jackson.

"So is it true, you no longer fear solving your problems by acting on violence?" Observing their face-off, Stiles noticed that Kali was the leader in their pack when Deucalion wasn't there with them as the others did not speak, but merely stood beside or behind her. Scott, looking puzzled, casts a look behind him at his pack, but they all meet his eyes in confusion as well.

"What the hell do you mean? We haven't done anything to you besides protect ourselves. We haven't attacked you directly without reason." Ethan and Aiden scoffed loudly from behind Kali, one shaking his head disbelieving while the other turned his glare back to Stiles and Jackson.

"Oh yeah? If that's true then why are you here defending Jackson? Do you really think he is this little innocent wolf that you make him out to be? He nearly killed the twins and it's obvious that he feels no remorse and yet you still want to stand by him, preaching about your morals."

Scott wasn't sure how to feel hearing Kali confirm that Jackson was behind the attack on the twins, surely he was suspicious when he left Stiles's house, but Scott still couldn't believe his ears. Stiles had lied to him, that much was clear. He lied to Scott about the attack, he probably lied about Jackson too if Scott thought about it some more. Scott didn't know what to believe anymore, how could he trust his best friend when Stiles was willing to lie to him.

"It was self-defense, they were going to kill me," Scott couldn't believe his ears, was he hearing Stiles right? Scott went to visit Stiles a few hours after they discovered the twins and he looked perfectly fine, unscathed. How dare Stiles claim self-defense for nearly mauling them to death! Scott was sure that whatever the twins had done was not worth the damage Jackson had caused. If anything, Jackson's attack looked like an act of vengeance.

"What the hell, Stiles! What has gotten iNTO YOU! YOU SHOULD'VE SEEN THEM, THEY WERE MANGLED, SELF-DEFENSE MY ASS. THOSE WERE LIFE-THREATENING INJURIES AND THEY COULD HAVE DIED IF WE HADN'T FOUND THEM IN TIME. THIS ISN'T A MATTER OF WHETHER YOU LIKE ME OR NOT ANYMORE STILES, THESE ARE OUR LIVES ON THE LINE!"

"YOU THINK I DON'T KNOW THAT! IF IT HADN'T BEEN FOR JACKSON, I'D BE DEAD. AND IF IT WEREN'T FOR YOU, THE FUCKING ALPHA TWINS WOULD BE DEAD TOO!"

Scott jerked back in shock as if Stiles had just slapped him across the face, "What, Stiles! My fault?" His voice trailed off as his eyes gleamed in sadness as Scott stared across the field at Stiles.

Stiles knew Scott was going to react this way when he found out, that's why he lied. He thought he was going to have more time to prepare himself for when he confessed to Scott because Stiles wasn't stupid enough to keep it from the pack, but of course, things never worked out for him. Closing his eyes, Stiles gripped Jackson's scruff in his hands, a bit too rough, but being able to touch Jackson helped ground him. Stiles knew he was going to need all the support he could get to get through today. "Yeah, you Scott. It's always fucking you. I would've let Jax kill them you know, they don't deserve any better. Look at them, ever since they showed up, all that's been happening is death, they kill people. FUCKING INNOCENT PEOPLE AND ALL YOU DO IS STAND BY AND LET IT HAPPEN BECAUSE YOU'RE TOO GOOD TO KILL. YEAH WELL GUESS WHAT? NOT ALL OF US CAN BE LIKE YOU!"

Stiles's chest was heaving, lungs in pain from both the lack of breath and shouting at the other. Scott... Scott always had the best interests in his heart, but sometimes that just wasn't enough. Stiles wasn't some godsend, but even he could see how much their city was suffering from the drastic increase in deaths these past weeks, hell it was probably a month by now. Scott's been letting these monsters roam free because he didn't believe in killing, but isn't it hypocritical to let them live when people are still dying by their hands. But Stiles knew Scott wouldn't understand, Scott believed in second chances, but at what cost? Until he was dead, until his mom was dead; the alphas were clever in staying away from Scott's immediate family right now, but Stiles knows they're going to strike soon. And when they do, what was Scott going to do? "I'm not you, and I never will be. But I'm not the kind of person who will leave people to suffer, can't you see how they've turned Beacon Hills upside down. If I were a lesser person, I would've let Jackson end them, they deserved it for all the deaths they caused, but I couldn't do that to him. Jax has gone through so much, and I knew he wouldn't have been able to handle more blood on his hands. But sometimes, I think back and wonder what would've happened if I was too late to stop Jackson... because then at least I know I did my best at protecting Beacon Hills. So don't tell me I'm a bad person, because I know I am, but don't go thinking that makes you a good person because the toll of deaths has only been able to reach this high because of you. This wouldn't be happening if you'd just end it in the first place like I told you to."

Stiles trailed off, his words breaking at the end. It was taking too much effort to properly gather his words together and Stiles was in too much pain to care about putting up a strong front. Fuck that, Scott needed to see how his morals were causing more harm than good and if it took Stiles hurting himself in the process to show Scott, then he'd rather face that a thousand times over rather than letting innocent people take the fall.

"This is why, this is why I can't trust you anymore Scott. You don't care about saving people, you only care about upholding your morals and I'm not going to stand by and let you destroy Beacon Hills. Not when things can be done to fix lives. Too many people have suffered."

There was a beat of silence as Scott stood shell-shocked at Stiles's confessions, doubt creeping in his mind, this wasn't the Stiles, Scott remembered, where was his childhood best friend? Was he even still a friend? After everything Stiles has done? All the pain, the near-deaths caused by him. Or is he now a foe because of his morals? His willingness to take a life in exchange for another.

Smirking in glee, Kali watched the drama unfold, excited to see Scott fight Stiles. After all, why put in all this effort when someone else could be doing the dirty work for them.

"Stiles, budd—"

Nothing prepared anybody for the next movement, a flash of darkness shot out from the shrubs, lunging right at Stiles from the side. Stiles, who had let go of Jackson during his argument with Scott, was standing behind Jackson, keeping both Scott and the Alpha pack in sight, but leaving his back vulnerable. Stiles didn't even get the chance to process anything until he was on the ground, back scratched up from getting dragged across the cold forest floor.

A sharp prick to his shoulder and then an immense, piercing pain shot through his whole body. Struggling to keep his eyes open from the horrible pain, Stiles looked up just in time to see Jackson's blue eyes widen in horror, his mouth dropped in mid-howl.

The last thought that plagued Stiles's mind was how eerily human Jackson's eyes looked at that moment; how he could imagine Jackson as a human making the exact face with those eyes. It was a shame that he wasn't able to get Jackson to turn back, if only Stiles had tried harder, maybe things would be different. But things never seemed to go well for Stiles and there was nothing he could do now; his train of thought slipping as Stiles began to blackout from the pain. Stiles resigned himself to his inevitable fate, he wasn't going to live.

.

.

EDIT: REUPLOADED 10/04/20 (Ao3)