After Atlas

Mitchell pov.

The horrors of that day filled his dreams. "I'll see you on the other side" he said. What did you do Mitchell? You just stared back into his eyes. The sorrow and attempt at confidence had imprinted itself in his memory forever. Will had always done his best to look out for him. When it came his time to help his best friend he failed. He failed his best friend when he needed him most. Now he was gone. Will had sacrificed himself for his country. He died a hero. A part of Mitchell wished he had been the one that gotten killed. He regretted that day. Why are some men taken and others saved? More importantly why was Will taken? Why? Why was always a recurring question in war. And half the time it had no answer. He reared awake from the horror of the frequent memories. He was drenched in a cold sweat his blue eyes widened in terror. He stiffly sat up as the familiar hospital sound flooding his senses. His muscles twitched under the soft fabric hugging his muscular frame. "Take it easy" a normally rough voice says softly. "Hey Gideon" Mitchell smiles warmly up at his team mate. His eyes seemingly having a new fire to them. The worn baby blue walls set a welcoming vibe. A table to his right catches his eye. He reaches to grab the clipboard resting on the top with his left hand but realizes its not there. Gideon's English accent filled the room "they haven't gave you your arm yet. Needed to focus on the major injuries. You and I took some serious damage." He says calmly "but you took the worst." Mitchell nods and sighs running his hand through his hair. "You had the dream again right?" Gideon asks his eyes tinted with concern. He puts on a fake smile "no I'm fine." "That wasn't the question" Gideon insists in a firm voice "answer your captain" he says. He looks down not meeting Gideon's gaze shame sparkling in his eyes. "Your reaction just answered my question" Gideon sighs before standing up and walking out the door. It was my fault.. Mitchell thinks before drifting back to sleep only to relive the trapped demon inside his heart.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~