Chapter Four- Love Of My Life

As you guys neared the club you could already see the bright, neon lights and hear the loud, hip hop music. Your insides were beginning to get all jumpy as the club came into view. It was pretty big and had several levels. Pink, green and blue lights were gushing out of the windows and doors. There was a short line developed outside the door where girls in short dresses and high heels stood. Chanel was wearing one of the short dresses she wore for work and you had borrowed a short, blue one from her too. Ray, Prince, and Diggy all wore clean t-shirts they were able to steal from the store a few days back. Although you were only thirteen, the dress and make-up made you look older…not old enough for a club but older than thirteen.

Instead of joining the line outside, Diggy lead all of you guys behind the building, into an alley where two boys around Diggy’s age were standing. Diggy walked over and talked to them for a few minutes, pointing in our direction a couple of time before the two men nodded their head. Diggy turned to you guys and nodded his head. The two men stepped aside and let us through the back door, but not before looking you up in down. You could basically feel their eyes undressing you. Your arms flew up and you crossed them over your chest. Prince stepped in front of you, shielding their eyes from you until you guys reached inside.

The moment you walked in, all you could smell was cigarettes, cheap perfume, and sweat, you were fighting the urge to cover your nose. The neon lights were almost bright enough to blind you. You squinted your eyes and tried to keep sight of Prince, Ray, Diggy, and Chanel. People were rubbing and dancing all around you, making you feel stuck. The smoke in the air was making it hard it hard for you to see but you kept your eyes on Prince’s afro the entire time before you all got into a corner.

Diggy: “Guys I gotta handle some business but I’ll be back in like an hour… just stay here and have fun.”

You: “But I thought you were gonna stay and party for my birthday?”

Diggy: “I will… I’ll be back later.”

He placed a small kiss on your forehead before walking off, into the crowd.

A man with a dark mustache and shades suddenly came up behind Chanel, grabbing onto her butt.

Man: *Leans into her ear* “hey Chanel. Wanna dance?”

Chanel turned around and smiled, obviously recognizing his voice as one of her customers.

Chanel: “Sure.”

Before walking away, Chanel turned and looked at you, Prince and Ray.

Chanel: “Go sit at the bar or dance, I’ll be over here if you need me.”

Ray: “What do you guys wanna do?”

You: “I kinda wanna just sit… I can’t really breathe out there…”

Ray: *Looks at Prince* “What about you?”

Prince: “I’ll stay here.”

Ray: “C’mon why do you guys have to be so lame?”

You: “Ray I said I can’t breathe. You can go dance if you want.”

Ray: “But this is for your birthday.”

You: “I know. Just go have fun. Me and Prince will be here.”

Ray looked from Prince to you before finally walking away. He seemed to be upset but he still left. It wasn’t long before you couldn’t see sight of him anymore.

You and Prince walked over to two open seats at the bar and watched the entire club. Chanel was in the back grinding with the guy in shades while Ray and Diggy weren’t anywhere to be seen.