Chapter Two- The Beginning

The Beginning Of The Journey (Age 7- 13)

Learning to Hustle

After the escape from your foster home you and Princeton were unsure of what to do next. Yeah sure, being free felt amazing but you weren’t naive. The same dangers you faced in the home was the same dangers you faced now, you could be abused, hurt, taken advantage of, drugged, and killed if you weren’t careful.

As you and Princeton sat in a large cardboard box in an abandoned alley, you discussed the next move.

You: “Prince I’m hungry.” *Rubs belly*

Prince: “I know me too. I don’t have any money though…”

You: *Sighs and looks out into the street* “What are we gonna do?” *Covers teary eyes*

Prince sat staring at you for a second before getting up.

You: *Looks up at him* “Where are you going?” *Gets up and grabs him* “You can’t leave me.”

Prince: *Shakes his head* “I’m not leaving you, I have an idea.” *Starts looking through garbage cans*

You: *Walks near him and tries to see what he’s doing* “What are you looking for?”

Prince: *Pulls out empty glass jar* “This!”

You: *Looks at hi sideways* “Prince… it’s empty…”

Prince: “I know, that’s the point; But don’t worry it’ll be full soon.” *Winks and starts walking away*

You: “Wait… what are you talking about? Full of what?”

At The Subway Station:

The entire way there Prince refused to answer any of your questions or complaints; he just kept walking until you guys ended up in the middle of a subway station.

Prince: *Looks around at the people and then hands you the jar* “Okay, now get money.”

You: *Looks at jar and then Prince* “How?”

Prince: “Ask the people.” *Points at all the women and men walking past*

You: *Looks at him and then the people*

You walked forward a little bit so that you were more in view and began asking softly, barely above a whisper if people could give you money.

You: *Low voice* “Excuse me ma’ma. Excuse me sir can you give me some money?”

You looked back at Prince uncomfortably as he stared back with his hands crossed.

You: *Lowly* “Please give some money.”

The people continued to walk past as if you weren’t even there. You felt tears swelling up in your eyes as your stomach let out a loud growl.

Prince: *Walks over and snatches jar* “This is how you get money (YN).” *Pushes you aside softly*

Prince: *Loudly* “Sir please give me and my friend money for food! Ma’am would you mind giving some spare change?”

Both the people he talked to turned in his direction and dropped a few coins. You watched in amazement as Prince continued to get money, including singles from people.

Prince: *Walks back to you and hands you the jar* “You have to get their attention.”

You: “How’d you know?”

Prince: *Shrugs* “I just know.”

You: “So I just ask?”

Prince: *Laughs* “Pretty much… or you could sing or dance… if you can do that…”