Chapter 2

Severus' eyes burned slightly and his eyelids felt like lead. He blinked hard. His eyes were wet and out of focus. Finally forcing them open he looked straight into the faces of Narcissa and Draco Malfoy. They were chanting and waving their wands over him rhythmically.

"Well, Hello, Severus, welcome back," murmured a relieved Narcissa.

Severus tried to speak but no sound came from his mouth.

"Shush, quiet now, you've had a horrible injury to your throat," sighed Narcissa.

He remembered Nagini's attack and felt nauseous. Severus motioned for something to write with and Draco handed him a parchment and quill. Severus scratched frantically,

'Nagini ! Venom!'

Narcissa patted his hand, "Yes, we know. I found the antivenom potions in your cloak. I had to give you a Draught of Living Death to keep you unconscious for the first week. You were thrashing about something fierce. We have also given you nearly all your blood-replenishing potions and a Regenerative potion. One of your servants used some sort of elf magic to help in the healing of your throat. It's been an anxious few weeks."

Severus furrowed his brow, bewildered, scribbling hurriedly,

'FEW WEEKS!? How long? Servants? Where am I?'

"You are at Prince Lodge in Wales. We were able to slip away from the fighting unnoticed when Lucius told us the Dark Lord was going to kill you. We hurried to the Shrieking Shack and found you all but dead. We took you to Prince Manor but the house elves transported us here. More secluded, they said. We, with their help, have been caring for you for the last month. I thought it the very least we could do. We owe you a life-debt for saving Draco," Narcissa explained with tears in her eyes.

Severus wrote,

'the Dark Lord?'

Draco chimed in, "Finished. Potter ended him. Good riddance, I say!"

Severus succumbed to the weariness of it all and fell asleep. The Malfoys left him to rest.

Stirring after awhile, Severus peered into the twilight. Evening shown through two tall windows. He could see what looked to be a balcony through a set of opened French doors. He glanced around the room where he had been recovering. From what he could see it was well-appointed with grand oak furnishings, great tapestries, carpets and luxurious bedding. A soft 'Pop' startled him. He looked over to see an elf snap a fire into existence in the stone fireplace. Severus knocked over a glass from the nighttable to get the elf's attention. Big, round eyes turned to look at him,

"Ah, Sir is awake. Good. I am Neder, loyal elf and estates manager to the House of Prince. Does Sir require anything?"

Severus wrote on his parchment,

'Are you the only one here? Where are the Malfoys? What is this place? Tell everything.'

Neder having read the note replied,

"Lady Malfoy told us Sir was attacked by a monster!"

Neder clenched his fists and shivered at the image that suddenly filled his mind. Regaining his composure he continued,

"We have given them rooms and seen to their comfort. Tell Sir everything? Well, Sir, there is lots to tell. Where to begin?"

Severus was never one for patience when he needed to know something. He motioned for the elf to get on with it. So Neder began from the beginning, his beginning,

"Neder has been servant to the House of Prince for many generations. Sir's grandparents being the last. Their daughter, Sir's mother, was a troubled young thing. She ran away many times. She took up with a mean disreputable boy, a muggle I think, in the Midlands. She was eventually disowned, as Sir must know. But a parent's anger does not sever a blood-tie. Sir's mother, and now Sir, are tied by blood to all properties and holdings belonging to the family Prince. This place, the Great Lodge, sits in Coed y Brenin forest in Snowdonia, Wales. It once served as the hunting lodge for Sir's family. Neder sees over many house elves caring for Sir's properties and, now, we have our new Master, Lord Prince, 5th Baron of Coed y Brenin."

Neder paused reverently then bowed, "My Lord."

Feeling a bit overwhelmed Severus penned,

'My mother died several years ago'

Neder hung his head as he read the sad news. Severus wrote,

'The war? Do you know anything of Hogwarts?'

Neder acknowledged,

"Elves have communications with all our kind, including Hogwarts. The war is over. The evil one is dead. Hogwarts is in partial ruins. Sir is believed dead. Lady Malfoy thought it best to keep you a secret for now. But Sir is a 'Hero' on the side of Light. Sir is free!"

The obviously devoted servant added, "Does Sir need anything more from Neder?"

Severus shook his head and wrote,

'No, Thank you'.

The elf bowed and, with a 'pop', vanished. Severus' mind was reeling,

'I'm alive...Voldemort is dead...It's over. It's finally over. All of it.....Over.'

He felt as though the weight of the world had been lifted from his chest.

The immense oak door opened and Narcissa peeped around the corner,

"Knock, knock. May I come in?"

Severus half-smiled.

"I heard Neder has told you all," the woman said taking a seat next to his bed.

"Here's some broth. You haven't had much nourishment aside from potions, so drink up."

Narcissa handed him a large cup and continued,

"I do have some news of my own. Lucius and Draco have been pardoned for their cooperation with the Ministry in rounding up stray Death Eaters. Much of our holdings have been confiscated, however, in the name of retribution. Still, they have escaped time in Azkaban, thankfully. And we have the manor and one of our vaults left to us. You, however, my dear Severus, are apparently a dead war hero."

Narcissa tilted her head and smiled from under her furrowed brow,, "Bella always thought you were not what you seemed."

After a reflective pause she went on, "I knew your heart when you agreed to help me. Help Draco."

Narcissa's voice cracked as she smiled thoughtfully, her eyes glistening. She gently added,

"you betrayed yourself...to me anyway. Bella had lost her mind! Insanity had taken hold of her. She hated you, for Merlin knows what reason. But with that unbreakable vow, at that very moment, I saw the good in you. I am forever in your debt."

A few seconds later Narcissa raised an eyebrow, "And, it seems you are quite wealthy, Lord Prince."

They both grinned, amused. Severus had finished the broth and set the cup on the nighttable.

Narcissa rose, "Pleasant dreams, Severus."

She placed a kiss on his forehead and left the room. He sat quietly for awhile, trying to take it all in, then drifted off to sleep for the night.