Chapter Seventeen

Note: this is an emotional chapter 😭 I'm sorry, Lord Wenchang.

.........................................................................

Fengjiu, followed by Wenchang, followed the purple-robed figure from where it materialised in the Sky Kingdom, all the way to Taichen Palace. Upon arriving at the palace, she saw that the figure had found its way into Donghua's bedroom. She tried as hard as she could to open the door to the bedroom but the door would not budge.

Wenchang could only watch in pain as the person he loved most desperately knocked and begged for Donghua to open the door. The pain of seeing his beloved amidst tears and crying for someone else broke his heart in so many places. In spite of being heartbroken, he was also left dumbfounded and destitute by the fact that he was powerless to help the woman he loved most.

Since taking over as lord of Taichen Palace, he had never ever set foot in that majestic bedroom. He could only imagine how the interior of the room looked like, probably with purple velvet blankets, writing materials and diningware fit for an emperor. Since Fengjiu was so persistent to have a word with the Dijun, the sympathetic Chong Lin could only request for Wenchang to assist him in convincing Fengjiu to return to her chambers and promised that he would call immediately for her once Dijun was willing to see her. Seeing how genuine Chong Lin's intention was, Wenchang relented.

Wenchang tenderly led Fengjiu away from the door of the Dijun's bedroom to the living room and continuously persuaded her to take a rest and wait for Chong Lin to come back with good news, but she was determined that the Dijun would see her. With her eyes filled with tears, she furiously yelled at Wenchang that he should let her be if he was unwilling to help her get into the room. Knowing her stubborn personality, Wenchang realised that nothing was going to change her mindset that she would not rest her mind till she had spoken to Dijun. Heartbroken, Wenchang released his hold on her and retired his own chambers, resorting to drinking to clear his thoughts and numb the throbbing pain in his chest. He recalled how Fengjiu was still crying and calling the Dijun's name outside the bedroom, and he had never felt more devastated. While love was sweet, fate had a strange way of playing jokes on them. If fate was decided by heaven, why allow him to fall in love with her and yet, let the Dijun of her heart come back suddenly? Wenchang couldn't understand.

Chong Lin understood Wenchang's plight and called for Siming, which Wenchang allowed to enter his room. The minute he entered, Siming was baffled to see that the intelligent lord was a huge emotional mess with five jars of wine on the floor and still holding one in his hand. He noted that this was a huge change from his usual, emotionless self since he had came back from serving his punishment in the mortal realm. While Seventy-Three was a lively young immortal, Lord Wenchang had turned into an expert in hiding his feelings. Perhaps it had been the pain of losing his mortal mother and everything in life he had strived to be in his mother's sake. And this seemingly emotionless lord had been undone by a woman.

Siming was glad that the Dijun had came back but at the same time, he was concerned about Wenchang's emotional state. He knew Wenchang was broken inside, but yet, the tough lord would not shed even a single tear. He appeared to be in a trance, continuously repeating to himself, "she loves him, not you, Wenchang. It's not your fault that he came before you." Upon seeing Siming he faked a smile and gave him his thanks. Then he asked about the Queen. Siming informed him what Chong Lin had told him, that she was still waiting outside the Dijun's chambers. Siming looked sad and asked him if he needed to talk, but Wenchang insisted he was fine and just needed to be alone. The Star Lord politely bowed with clasped hands and left the room, leaving Wenchang to his own devices.

Chong Lin served Fengjiu Dragonwell tea from with Donghua's prized tea set, but Fengjiu was too depressed to even look away from the door. She had decided to keep vigil by sitting by the door to Donghua's bedroom, and as a result, the kind-hearted Chong Lin could only leave the tea set on a small bedside table that he placed nearby where Fengjiu was sitting. Her eyes had been puffy from the continuous crying. For hours she had been calling out to Dijun until her voice was almost hoarse, urging him to come out his room or at least, let her take a look at him. She felt rejected by him, and hadn't know what she had done wrong to deserve his cold treatment. He had acted like he could not hear her or did not recognise her, the then familiar feeling had been like that of a stranger. What had happened to Donghua?