Slipping Into The Shadows (Xyan)

Request from @TheNeonBunny ! Hope you all enjoy (WARNING: sad oneshot)

The day had not gone as planned.

It started off as a regular Glitch, created by... well, Glitch. He'd accidentally started a fire in some woods in France, so the mission seemed easy, considering they'd encountered fires before.

But what the didn't know was that said fire was very close to a nuclear power station, which could have exploded if it came into contact with the fire. The Go Jetters tried their best to fight it, but it was too big and too fast.

The power station was doomed, and so were the people inside. Well, until the Jetters started evacuating them, sending them to JetPad and giving them rides in the Vroomster.

Xuli was heading to the station to pick up the last person, but noticed how close the fire was. There was no time to make them sit in the Vroomster, so she dropped the claw down, then zoomed away with the last worker.

Then, the power station exploded.

The Vroomster flung the worker onto JetPad's roof before being engulfed in the flames.

The next thing the guys knew, some black, smoking thing emerged from the cloud and crashed to the ground. Once Ubercorn had made sure it was safe, the Go Jetters raced down to see what it was.

The smoldering remains of the Vroomster.

And buried in the rubble?

---

The same reason the Go Jetters were now all waiting nervously outside a hospital ward.

Ubercorn and Lars, having known each other for the longest, were huddling into each other, tear streaks lining their faces.

Foz was curled up into a ball, anxiously biting his nails.

Kyan was trying (but failing) to calm himself, head in his hands and Gail was pacing up and down the corridor, breathing heavily and growling.

All of a sudden, the doctor came out of the ward. Everyone suddenly stopped and stared hard at him, wanting an answer to their silent question. He awkwardly fingered his collar, then broke the silence.

"If this hadn't been nuclear radioactivity we were dealing with," he began, "it would have been a lot easier to get Xuli back into shape and on the team. Unfortunately, she's been exposed to too many radioactive elements, so I'm afraid to say that..."

Everyone hung on his last few words, their eyes pleading that it wasn't too late.

"...there's nothing I can do. I'm sorry."

Ubercorn's POV:

The atmosphere changed. Dramatically. For the worse. Sure, I've lived to see many a death, but I still wasn't any tougher like people thought I should be. I could feel the tears rushing toward the outside world, but I managed to keep them in. I asked the doctor "How long does she have?"

"We're not entirely sure," he replied, "but I don't think she'll get to see the sun rise tomorrow."

I bowed my head, letting the waterworks out. Lars gave me a big bear hug, but it didn't change anything.

"Oh, and I almost forgot: she wants to see Kyan briefly before, uh, well." the doc said, momentarily snapping me out of the mud pit of sorrow.

I watched through my blurred eyesight as Kyan promptly got up and walked through the door with the doctor.

No one's POV:

Before Kyan reached the bed, the doctor stopped him. He said "She may start coughing and hyperventilating at some point, so I've left an oxygen mask by her bed just in case." Kyan nodded and closed the distance between himself and the girl of his dreams.