Five Nights at Freddy's: Musings of a Diner Worker

Creak.

The insides groaned as they disappeared into the solid yellow shell. They protested against the crank I was using to retract them. He kept his grasp on the bear's stomach firm as I continued my battle against the innovation of the bear.

Thunk.

I put the crank down. He lifted up the shell so that I could step into it without triggering any of the cold, metal parts inside.

In went my right leg.

In went my left leg.

In went my arms.

Click.

He closed the bear carefully, making sure the metal didn't impale me. I watched him walk over to the dusty, faded table at the other side of the room. He picked up the bear's head, admiring its mostly-glistening top hat and eyeless sockets. He then returned to me and mumbled "Remember, don't br-"

"Don't breathe on them, move too sharply, or go near water. We've been through this many times before." I interrupted him in a near-monotone voice, eager to leave the musty, dank room.

"Alright," he sighed. "Here goes nothing."

Clunk.

The head snapped into place. The metal had begun to warm up from my careful breath. He looked at me and gave me a thumbs up.

It was time.

I walked to the door and took a gentle hold of the handle.

As soon as I opened it, I could hear the many children present giggling amongst themselves, darting to and fro across the tiled floors and telling each other stories while listening to the rabbit on the stage as he strummed his guitar, unaware of the world around it.

Their parents were seated calmly at various tables, chattering amongst themselves. Empty plates lay in the middle, coated with pizza grease and crumbs from French fries. The few waiters at the diner came to each table every so often, offering drink refills and a burger or two while trying to ignore the yells of the raging teenagers in the arcade as they lost yet another game.

But among it all, I managed to hear a quiet sob and a shuffle from under a table in the dining area. Familiarity in the noise hit me in the head like a truck - a mindless truck at that, since I couldn't put a pin on whose cry it was.

"It's too late," I heard a quiet voice mutter. "Hurry the other way and find someone who will help! You know what will happen if he catches you!"

I strolled up to the table in question and bent down carefully, making sure the skeleton of the bear didn't come crashing down on me. I successfully grasped the long tablecloth, the ends of which were soaked in oil. I gently lifted it up, but before I could so much as make eye contact with the person- the child underneath, they scurried away under the next table.

That voice must've been telling the child about being punished somehow, I pondered as I began searching for the child. Whoever this is must know that children have to stick with their parents, or perhaps I was mistaken for somebody else who scares this child.

After a few fruitless moments of subtly following the runaway rascal (while being constantly and increasingly concerned and disturbed by the potentiality of knowing this person), I noticed that I had gradually advanced across the restaurant and closer to the stage. The rabbit towered over the entranced children and strummed its guitar. A different bear that greatly resembled the one I was wearing was also performing for the guests, microphone in hand as it sang to the rabbit's melody.

"You can find help if you get past them," the mysterious voice suddenly spoke. "You have to be strong."

I grinned under the head of the bear. This is my time to catch them, I thought to myself as I prepared to run should the child decide to make a quick exit and avoid a scolding from the boss for disobeying a rule.

Someone whizzed out from under a table a few metres away.

I jumped in front of them.

I heard a scream.

I gasped as the familiarity came crashing down on me.

It was him.

Oh.

The other children turned round to face him as he collapsed onto the ground and began bawling his eyes out. Some pointed, some seemed annoyed that their enjoyment had to be interrupted, but most of them simply laughed - and I suspected it was directed toward him, as he seemed to be renowned for all the wrong reasons, from what I'd heard.

I stepped forward in an attempt to help him, but he simply gasped, shrieked louder, began to tremble immensely and backed away. Oh yeah, he's terrified of them. I felt like facepalming myself right then, right there. How could I have been so stupid? Of course it was him. He always hides under tables when he comes.

"Tomorrow is another day." the voice said, presumably trying to calm him down.

Who even is this voice? I mused. Where are they coming from? What do they want with him?

My only concern at that moment was returning to Parts and Service to remove the bear so that I could at least somewhat comfort him.

After scolding the crowd of children for belittling and mistreating him, I carefully made my way back to Parts and Service and asked the boss to assist me in removing the bear.

Click.

Click.

Creak.

Clunk.

Snap.

I nearly blew the door wide off its hinges as I whooshed across the tiled floor and skidded to a stop by his side. I knelt down, placed a hand on his and whispered "It's okay, [REDACTED]. You're safe. There's nothing to be scared of now."

Admittedly, I wasn't prepared for the wind to be knocked out of me as I was yanked under a table (as much as I could be, at least - I was too tall to fit under there completely) and he launched himself into my arms, wailing hysterically, burying his head into my neck as much as he could as if to prevent his cries from reaching the ears of the wrong people.

I gradually wrapped my arms around him, trying to both comfort him and silently scold the crowd of children giggling incessantly at his behaviour.

Oh [REDACTED], when will they ever learn to accept you? I pondered as a small toy bear watched us with its glowing white eyes, for reasons even now I don't understand.