Chapter 18: Not A Palm Tree In Sight

Music Track List:

Hans Zimmer - Time

Hans Zimmer - Dream is Collapsing

****

Emma's POV

I felt a feeling of slipping away... a certain coldness. A numbness. I felt myself floating further and further away while David ranted about Gabriel. I no longer could pay attention. I badly needed a warm bed and sleep. I knew this wasn't a sudden out of body experience I was having. It was shock: pure and simple.

I rose up and began to float out with David leading the way. I had two pairs of heels with me now, held in either hand, and walked in my stocking feet along the labyrinth of the department's basement. The horrid flickering fluorescent lights felt even more oppressive than they are oft to do.

Every so often, David would sneak glances my way. What an odd bird he is, was all I could think and then felt contempt for him. I'm not sure why. I just did. Maybe for committing the great offense of not being who he should be. If that makes any sense at all.

"How are you getting home?" he finally asked while spying me with one eye.

"Getting an Uber," I said dryly.

"Which end of town are you heading?"

"West Hollywood."

"Oh really. So am I," he said and then looked pensively at me, "I'll get one for you now, if you want."

I didn't reply. He took out his phone and played with its buttons

We finally made it outside and walked towards the nearest busy street. It was dark and the night felt old. David walked beside me in silence the entire way.

"Are you going to be all right?" David asked me when we reached the sidewalk.

I heaved a sigh, "You tell me. Is this going to keep happening to me?"

"I don't know," he responded quietly. He kicked at a stone on the ground with the toe of his ridiculous cowboy boot.

We didn't talk again until the Uber rolled up and I opened the door to slide in. David hovered by the door, unsure what to do with himself. Against my better judgment, I saddled slowly over. He took that as his invitation and jumped in beside me, trying hard not to show his enthusiasm.

I shook my head wearily and looked out the window.

We drove for some time and I tried to forget David's presence but I could just feel him beside me, waiting with anticipation. Finally, I turned to face his way. "What!" I hissed with exasperation.

He was faced in my direction and his eyes lit up when connecting with mine. His eyes were just like the man with soft...I mean, the other David. My David, I said to myself...and was too tired at the time to question what my brain had meant by it.

This David smiled at me warmly. And then coughed, "So...at least...tell me if I was a good kisser or not," he began, "Did I curl your toes?"

I couldn't believe the nerve, and had to force my face to keep deadpan, although the corner edges of my mouth turned slightly upward.

"You've been waiting to ask that this whole time, haven't you," I stated.

"Yup," he said popping the P. I found his shit-eating grin irritating, so I turned to look out the window again. It had begun to rain gently and I watched as a big fat raindrop hit the glass and slowly roll down and out of site.

"David," I said without looking his way.

"Yes ma'am?" he answered.

"You said something about...some bubbles popping...what did you mean?"