Chapter 10: Seems Like Old Times

Music Track List: SEEMS LIKE OLD TIMES ~ Vaughn Monroe

******

Emma's POV

Thankfully, no one pestered me to find out if I was all right while I quickly scrubbed my skin under the shower and changed back into my dark blue frock. I guessed they had all really listened to Gabriel's command to leave me alone. And I'm glad they did. There's nothing I hate more than being made a fuss over. Especially over something as silly as this, although I did feel a little unsettled by the entire affair. It just wasn't like me to ever lose my nerve...over anything. In fact, I was often very unsympathetic to those who let their own fears and weaknesses build up to such a crisis. I had one cousin who often had spells such as these, and I used to believe her to be both weak and spineless. Now that I had experienced that wild beating in my heart and uncontrollable fear in my soul, I regretted ever having judged her badly for it.

But even now as I tried to remember the feeling of panic, it was dim and fuzzy. It felt so very far away and removed from me. I was, as the expression goes: right as rain (whatever that means). It was like the experience had become blocked entirely from my psyche, and when I tried to think on it, it was almost as if the whole thing had happened to someone else... to another girl who looked like me, and sounded like me, but whose soul wasn't usually clothed with my body. I can't explain the feeling, and I don't think anyone could. It wasn't like I was possessed...it was more like...two very different people occupying the same position in space at the exact same time. Only one of us was being eaten alive by the Norns. And the other was being used to serve sushi.

As I rolled up my stockings and snapped them to my garter, I realized I felt most at ease and wondered if it was all this Gabriel person's doing. What a strange man. And what a powerful hold he suddenly had on me. I decided I must have been imagining the calming effect of his fair weather eyes. Yes, imagining it all. His mollifying influence must have had something to do with my reaction to his pheromones. I read about that in some airline magazine once.

Gabriel was waiting for me in the lobby, seated at the bar when I finally came out, and I realized, now that I was at a distance and could get a good look at him, what an imposing figure he struck – tall, and lean, and self-assured to the point of being almost cocky. He had a regal air about him, like he exuded old money, so that even his costly dark silk suit managed to look cheap in comparison.

As I sauntered towards him, I felt the air-conditioning blast my still-wet hair, which was wound into tight ringlets and pinned into sections on my scalp. Gabriel turned and smiled at me, and I slowed in my steps as a thunderous attraction for him rocked me to the core. What was it about this guy? I've certainly fucked handsomer men. And as the saying goes, handsome is as handsome does. This was something different. It was like...I knew him. Had always known him. I felt a connection to him in the depths of my being. Maybe I was under his spell after all.

"So..." I said as I approached, grateful we were alone so I wouldn't have to endure anyone fawning over my health and well-being.

"So," Gabriel repeated, smiling at me.

I handed him the jacket that he had graciously lent to me earlier and he took it from my hands. I tried to say thanks but he insisted it wasn't necessary.

I was worried for one second that this was about to get awkward, and that agreeing to go out with him was all a mistake, but Gabriel just rose from his seat at the bar, grabbed his black trench coat off the stool beside his, and motioned for the exit. "Shall we?" he said.

Outside, Gabriel and I discussed where we should eat while he hailed a taxi. We finally decided we would let him surprise me just as we got into the back of the cab.