Chapter 10 - Sleepover

As we walked the bridge, I noticed that Spot still seemed angry. I also had no idea what to say to him though. Beating people up is so much easier than talking.

"Uh, You okay?" I asked him. He looked over at me, confused, so I continued. "Youse looked mad bout somethin'." Spot looked away. 

"Did Ise do somethin'?" I asked him. He looked at me, surprised. "No. Why'd youse think that?" 

I snorted. "Youse haven't said anything since we left. Yer actin like Race when he's drunk." Spot glared at me, causing me to smile. I knew that would get him. 

Spot rolled his eyes and looked away. "I'm just thinki'n." 

"Oh, so thats what's burning." I replied. Spot stopped walking and stared at me. I turned around to find him right in front of me, causing my face to heat up and the grin to slip from my face. His ice blue eyes were staring into mine. I wanted to look away out of awkwardness, but I couldn't tear my eyes away from his. 

He leaned closer to me, our noses almost touching. I could feel his breath on my face, and his eyelids were slowly lowering. I felt myself unconsciously leaning towards him. Our noses bumped, and I felt myself snap back to reality. 

I hastily stepped back, my face still bright red. I felt like jumping off the bridge right there out of sheer awkwardness, but I was pretty sure that Jack would kill me for doing that. 

"Uh, we'se should probably get ta Brooklyn before nightfall." 

***

The first thing that entered my mind when I saw Spot's room was messy. He had so many random things strewn across the room, but I was more surprised that he had enough stuff for his room to be a mess in the first place. Especially considering the max amount of money we would earn in a day was a dollar. 

"So, where should I sleep?" I asked Spot, looking around the room. He raised an eyebrow at me. 

"The bed, with me. Ise ain't about ta let a goil sleep on the ground." I rolled my eyes, but I sat down on the bed nonetheless. Spot started unbuttoning his shirt, so I looked away, my face going red once again. This boy was going to be the death of me. 

Then a shirt hit me in the face. I looked back at Spot to see him in only pants staring at me. 

"Youse said ya needed ta change. So here." I looked down at the shirt to see that it would be long enough to reach knees, making me feel slightly better, since there was no way I could sleep in a blouse and skirt. Spot pointed out the bathrooms location for me, and I left to go change. 

The bathroom had a small mirror inside, so I took a few moments to take in my appearance. My brown hair was starting to get pretty long, soon it would be too long to fit in my hat. I made a mental note to ask Race  to find me some scissors or a knife or something so I could fix it. 

Once I got back to Spot's room, I had to stifle a laugh. Spot was splayed out on the bed, fast asleep. I walked closer, taking in his appearance, something I couldn't do while he was awake for risk of him noticing. I didn't care how handsome or sweet he was, I couldn't fall for him. 

I sat down on the bed with a sigh. No matter how many times I told myself that, it wasn't going to stop. I was falling for the ruthless king of Brooklyn.