Chapter 2 - Medda's Songbird

I sat down next to Jack, noticing the new kid's younger brother standing alone. I smiled and waved him over as his older brother ordered their papers. Race plopped himself down next to me, smirking at an article. "Hey ya Jacey, take a look at this. Baby born with two heads. Must be from Brooklyn." He said, causing me to laugh.

"Hey, you got ya lousy papes, now beat it." Weasel shouted. I looked over to see the new kid counting his papers. "I paid for 20. I only got 19." the boy told him. "You accusing me of lyin kid?" Weasel shouted at him. "No, I just want my paper." The boy said calmly. I was a bit impressed. Not many could keep their cool with weasel yelling at them.

Jack walked over and counted the papers before looking up at weasel. "Nah, it is 19, but don't worry about it, it's an honest mistake. I mean, Morris here cant count to twenty with his shoes on." Jack said, causing the boys to laugh. "Hey Race, spot me two bits, will ya? Another 50 for my friend." 

"I don't want another 50." The new guy said as me and his brother walked over to the two. "Sure ya do, all newsies want more papes." I told him, handing him the papers. "Well I don't. I don't take charity from anybody, and I don't even know you." He said, trying to give the papers back to me. "Cowboy! They call him Cowboy!" The little boy said. Jack smiled. 

"Yeah, im called that and a lot of other things, including Jack Kelly, which is what me mudda called me." He wrapped an arm around me. "And this here is me little brotha Jace. What do they call you?" "Les the younger one replied. "and this is my brother David. He's older." I giggled.  "No kidding." I looked over at Jack. "Ise gotta head out and start sellin. Meet ya at Medda's when Ise done."

 I tipped my hat at the two boys and walked away to sell my papes. I'd occasionally sell with Jack, but I'd mostly do it alone before going over to Medda's to sing with her. She told me that when I was 18, she'd let me perform there. Until then, I made a living off bein a newsie, and practiced with Medda on the side. 

"Extra, Extra! Baby born with three heads!" I called out, a few people coming foreward to buy a paper. "Extra, Extra! Trolley workers attempt murder!" I walked around selling papers, and was completely sold out by noon. I began walking towards Medda's back door when I saw Jack David and Les running inside. I sighed, knowing it was probably Snyder. 

I walked inside just as Medda rushed down the stairs calling; "Out, Out!" Jack gave her a smile, and took her hand. "You wouldn't kick me out without a kiss goodbye, woulda Medda?" She sighed, giving him a smile. "Oh, Jack, Joss. Lovely to see you two." Jack turned around, and raised an eyebrow at me, clearly not knowing that I'd entered the building. David looked at me confused, reminding me that he didn't know I was a girl. 

"This here is Medda Larkson, the Swedish Meadowlark. Medda also owns the joint." Medda smiled at us as Jack praised her. "Medda, this is David and Les. They're Jack's new partners." I told her, taking my hat off, letting my long wavy brown hair cascade down my back. I stifled a giggle when David's jaw dropped in surprise. Medda also notices, letting out a giggle before turning to me. I'm sorry dear, but we can't practice today. I've got a few show's today." I smiled and shrugged. "It's alright, I'll just head back to the lodging." "You can stay if you want dear." She said, but I shook my head. 

"Ise alright, but Jacky boy and those two need a place to stay for a bit until their friend outside makes like an egg." I told her, looking to Jack for confirmation. He nodded, meaning my hunch about Snyder was right. Medda smiled and nodded, meaning the boys could stay. I pulled my hat back on over my brown locks and walked out the door. 

When I got back to the lodging, I pulled an old box out from under my bunk and tossed what I'd made inside. I was trying to save up to get out of Manhattan with Jack and go to Santa Fe, where our parents were. I pushed the box back under my bed before climbing out the fire escape and onto the roof. Whenever I couldn't practice with Medda, I'd practice on the roof. Race or Mush'd join me occasionally, but I usually sang alone. I decided to practice one of my favorites. 

Song starts. A/N (I'm aware this song didn't exist yet, just humor me.) 

You know the bed feels warmer... Sleeping here alone. You know I dream in color, And do the things I want.

You think you got the best of me, Think you had the last laugh. Bet you think that everything good is gone, Think you left me broken down, Think that I'd come running back, Baby you don't know me, 'cause you're dead wrong!

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, Stand a little taller, Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone. What doesn't kill you makes a fighter, Footsteps even lighter! Doesn't mean I'm over 'cause you're gone.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, stronger, Just me, myself and I. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, Stand a little taller! Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone. 

You heard that I was starting over with someone new. But told you I was moving on over you. You didn't think that I'd come back, I'd come back swinging. You try to break me but you see what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, Stand a little taller, Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone. 

What doesn't kill you makes a fighter, Footsteps even lighter, Doesn't mean I'm over 'cause you're gone.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, stronger,Just me, myself and I. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, Stand a little taller, Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone. 

Thanks to you I got a new thing started! Thanks to you I'm not the broken-hearted. Thanks to you I'm finally thinking 'bout me. You know in the end the day to left was just my beginning... In the end...

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, Stand a little taller, Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone. What doesn't kill you makes a fighter, Footsteps even lighter, Doesn't mean I'm over 'cause you're gone. 

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, stronger, Just me, myself and-

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, Stand a little taller, Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, stronger, Just me, myself and I. 

When I'm alone

End of song

Just as I finished singing, I turned around to the sound of clapping. Race and Snipe were standing next to the fire escape, both of them clapping, Race with a smug smile on his face. I stood up and mock - bowed to them, before walking over. "There a reason youse two was listening to me?" I asked, fingering my wooden stick which was hanging in one of my belt loops. Snipe shrugged. "Youse a good singa." He said simply. I rolled my eyes, and pushed past them to the fire escape. "I'm going ta bed. Ise see ya in the morn'n."