Chapter 1 - Jace Kelly

"Up and at em boys!" Kloppman called out. I groaned, and rolled myself off my bunk and onto the floor with a thud, causing a few bouts of sleepy giggles to come from the boys. I did this every morning, it was the easiest way to force myself up. I had the bunk under Mush, since he always found my falling funny enough to wake up after I did it. Sometimes I felt like his personal alarm clock, but I don't mind that much. 

The boys started getting up while I walked over to my small private room for changing and getting ready. I was the only girl so I got to use the extra room for changing. As I walked out stuffing my hair into my newsie cap I rolled my eyes at the sight of the boys. Out of all of them, only three were awake or doing anything. I grabbed the wooden cane that I kept my my bed and started banging it against their beds, successfully waking them up. 

Song starts

Racetrack: That's my cigar 

Snipeshooter: You'll steal anudder 

Kid Blink: Hey, bummers, we got work to do 

Specs: Since when did you become me mudder? 

Crutchy: Ah, stop yer bawling! 

Everyone: Hey! Who ast you??Mush: Try Bottle Alley or the harborRacetrack: Try Central Park, it's guaranteed 

Jack: Try any banker, bum, or barber ... 

Jace: "They almost all knows how to read!" I sang, slinging my arm around Jack's shoulders. 

Kid Blink: I smell money 

Crutchy: "You smell foul!" I giggled at that, knowing it was true. 

Mush: Met this girl last night ... 

Crutchy: Move your elbow! 

Racetrack: Pass the towel! 

Skittery: For a buck, I might! 

Everyone: Ain't it a fine life, Carrying the banner through it all? A mighty fine life. Carrying the banner tough and tall.  Every morning We goes where we wishes. We's as free as fishes. Sure beats washing dishes. What a fine life. Carrying the banner home-free all! 

Jack: It takes a smile as sweet as butter 

Crutchy: The kind that ladies can't resist 

Racetrack:It takes an orphan with a stutter 

Jack:Who ain't afraid ta use his 

Jace: "Fist!" I sang again, punching Race in the arm. 

Everyone: Summer stinks and winter's waiting. Welcome to New Yawk! Boy, ain't nature fascinating When youse gotta walk? Still, it's a fine life. Carrying the banner with me chums! A mighty fine life, Blowing every nickel as it comes. 

Crutchy: I'm no snoozer, Sitting makes me antsy, I likes living chancy. 

Everyone: Harlem tah Delancey, What a fine life, Carrying the banner through the slums. 

Three Nuns: Blessed children, Though you wander lost and depraved, Jesus loves you, You shall be saved!

Mother: "Patrick, darling,Since you left me I am undone. Mother loves you! God, save my son!" I, like all the others, ignored her, knowing she wasn't looking for me. She came by every day the past two weeks, looking for some kind name "Patrick." 

Racetrack: Just gimme half a cup 

Kid Blink: Something ta wake me up 

Mush: I gotta find an angle 

Crutchy: I gotta sell more papes 

Various Newsies: Papers is all I got, Wish I could catch a breeze. Sure hope the headline's hot, All I can catch is fleas. God, help me if it's not! Somebody help me, please ...

Everyone: If I hate the headlines, I'll make up the headline, And I'll say anything I hafta'Cause at two for a penny, If I take too many, Weasel just makes me eat 'em afta. 

Some Newsies: Look! They're puttin' up the headline,You call that a headline? I get better stories From the copper on the beat!I was gonna start at twenty, Now a dozen'll be plenty, Tell me, how'm I gonna make ends meet? 

Other Newsies: What's it say? That won't pay! So where's your spot? God, it's hot! Will ya tell me How'm I gonna make ends meet? 

All Newsies: We need a good assassination! We need an earthquake or a war!

Snipeshooter: How 'bout a crooked politician?

Newsies: Hey, stupid, that ain't news no more! Uptown to Grand Central Station, Down to City Hall, We improves our circulation, Walking till we fall

A/N(I'm ending the song here because it's long, and im starting to loose my mind from writing all of this.) 

Race slung his arm around my shoulders, a smirk playing on his lips as the Delancy brothers. "Aye, Jace. What is that unpleasant aroma?" He said, theatrically. Mush walked over with a smirk. "I fear the sewers may have backed up during the night." He said,  resting his arm on Jacks shoulder. I smiled at the three of them. "Nah, too rotten to be the sewer." I told them. "It must be the Delancy brudders." Crutchy said as he limped over. 

Oscar glared at us before grabbing Snipeshooter. "In the back ya, lousy shrimp." He hissed, throwing him to the ground. I pulled Snipe up before turning to face the brothers. "You shouldn't call people lousy little shrimps, Oscar, unless you're referring to the family resemblance in your brudda here." I told him as I pointed to Morris, causing the boys to ooh and laugh. Jack smirked at them and walked up next to me. 

"That's right, it's an insult. So's this." Jack said, knocking off Morris's hat and taking off in a run. We all laughed as he ran around, running into some guy and his brother at one point. "What do you think you're doing?" The guy asked, looking annoyed at being run into. Jack glanced back at the Delancy brothers before flashing the guy a grin. "Runnin!" He yelled, running off again. The other boys started singing again, but I ignored them, to busy laughing at Jack fighting the brothers. He ran over to the gates just as they opened, throwing Morris's hat at him before going inside. 

I laughed again, getting in line after my brother as the Delancy's stalked inside, glaring at us. "Oh Weasel!" Jack called out, ringing the bell. The man appeared in the window, giving us a glare. "I told ya a million times, the name's Wisel, Mr. Wisel to you." He said. "How many." Jack gave him a grin. "Don't rush me, I'm perusing the merchandise Mr. Weasel." He said before slapping his money on the counter. "The usual." "100 papes for the wise guy." Weasel ordered. Jack smiled and I stepped up. "How ya doin Weasel? Finally realize your life's crap?" I asked him. He glared at me, and I just flashed him a smile. "The usual hundred." Weasel just sighed before turning around and calling out "Nother 100 papes for the other wise guy." I gave him the money and walked over to where Jack was sitting, perusing through the articles.