Chapter 7 - Brooklyn's here

The next morning as I walked over to the boys, many of them were already in position. We had planned to stop anyone from getting out. 

But before we could do anything, a delivery cart came barreling towards us. Not wanting to get killed, we jumped out of the way. "Alright. Everyone remain calm." David said. That lasted about two seconds before I got impatient and called out; "Let's soak 'em for Crutchy!" We all ran inside the scabs when a door opened to reveal a big group of men with chains and clubs. 

"Jack! Jack!, the Crib!" Race yelled as the gates closed, preventing Denton from getting in and helping us. He bangs on them before turning to a nearby police officer. 

"Aren't you going to stop them, sir?" He asked. The officer just brushed him off.

"Move along, mister." 

Having no choice, us Newsies started fighting, despite how obviously outnumbered we were. But as we were I noticed boys starting to pop up on the roof above us. 

"Never fear, Brooklyn is here." Spot called out as he loaded his slingshot. 

"It's Brooklyn!" Mush called out, making me roll my eyes. "No kidding captain obvious." I thought to myself. 

Now more confident we began beating back the Cribs. I noticed Jack being surrounded by a few cribs, but he was too far for me to get to him in time. I turned to the Brooklyn Boys and called out "Spot!" Pointing over at Jack. He nodded and grabbed a hook, swinging down, kicking several cribs in the process. 

The two boys spit-shook before Spot ran over to the gates, pulling them open to let the Brooklyn boys inside. We force the cribs back a begin cheering, ripping up papers. 

"Jack! Boys! Freeze! Freeze!" Denton called out from behind his camera. I felt myself get pulled into the photo, the flash temporarily blinding me. I looked over to see Spot pulling his arm away, giving me a smirk before he walked off. I rolled my eyes, feeling myself blush. 

"So... Why was Spot's arm around ya?" A voice asked. I turned around to see Race and Mush, Race having been the one who spoke. I just shrugged. "Who knows." I replied simply, enjoying the annoyance that showed on their faces from my answer.

 I walked over to Jack who was cheering with Les. I smiled at the two of them. "Heya Jace! Wonder why Brooklyn showed up." Jack asked me. I smiled and shrugged. "Who knows." I answered for the second time to a different person. 

David walked over to us, Jack grinning at him. I rolled my eyes. "Denton told us to meet a Tibby's tomorrow to see the paper." Jack nodded and David left with Les. Jack turned to me. "So, where were ya last night?" He asked. I froze inside. Thinking fast I replied; "Ise went out to me stargazing spot." Jack thought my star spot was on one of the Manhattan rooftops, not the Brooklyn bridge. 

"Well next time youse should tell me if youse plannin' tah go out. Ise was worried bout ya." I giggled at that. "I think i would've been fine." I replied, putting an arm around him. "Youse tough Jace, but ya ain't invicibili." I giggled again. "Invincible Jack." He shrugged. "Same thing." 

The next day the Newsies met Denton at Tibby's to see the paper. "Hey fellas. Hey, hey! Big time." He said as he walked inside. "What you got there Jack?" Boots asked, pointing  to the paper in Jacks hands. "Where's me picture? Where's me picture?" Spot asked as he walked over, also earning himself en elbow to the ribs courtesy of Jack. 

Mush laughed, pointing to Jacks picture. "Look at that Jack. You look like a gentlemen!" Jack slapped his hand away saying "Will you get your fingers off me face?" 

"Where does it say my name? Where's my name?" Spot asked. "Will you quit thinking about yourself?" I asked him, hitting his hat off his head. He glared at me, causing a few of the boys near us to shift uncomfortably. I  had my hat off, showing I was a girl, so I just looked over at Denton and smiled.