𝐢𝐢.𝐢𝐢𝐢. 𝐬𝐨𝐮𝐥 𝐠𝐥𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐢𝐧𝐠

THE SECONDS THAT FOLLOWED felt like torturous, endless minutes under Elowen's cognisance

THE SECONDS THAT FOLLOWED felt like torturous, endless minutes under Elowen's cognisance. Her view solely focused on the boy lying motionless, breathless, on the floor.

Lips parted, the red-haired breathed in, but no air seemed to reach to her lungs, obstructing and dying on her throat. A tingling feeling, like a thousand tiny needles being pressed against her rosy skin emerged on the tips of her fingers, slowly making their way up to both of her arms. Her whole body was deadened, only her knees showing signs of life as they trembled with the threat of failure and sink the female to the floor.

Her heart bumping against her chest was the only sound filling her ears. The pitch-high whistling that had followed Peeta's impact against the force field fading like an old echo in the back of her head. She couldn't remember when she had finally forced herself up on her feet after the collision that had brought the whole group to the floor. But she felt unable to take a single step forward as her sky-blue eyes were fixed on the sand blonde-haired male from Twelve.

The girl's sight waited in fear, forehead and eyebrows pressed together as a little voice in the back of her mind silently wondered how long would it take for the cannon of the games to announce yet another wrongful, cruel death.

Elowen noticed a shadow passing from behind, making its way to Peeta's body and crouching next to it. One of Katniss' hands was still pressed against the boy's chest, refusing to take it away until she felt the response of his lungs filled with air again. The other one trembled against her mouth, her voice weak and craked as she helplessly begged for the boy to open his eyes.

Only Katniss' body shifted in alert then, as she too, noticed the sudden presence of Finnick on the boy's side. While her hands moved quick and skillfully to grab a hold of her bow and arrow, Elowen's eyes blinked with the knowing feeling of danger. A still conscious, alert part of her mind trying to push her into action. But in the second that took her to flick her eyes open again, it was no longer Peeta the one lying on the floor. It was Sawyer. The fabric of his chest stained with fresh, scarlet blood that came from where the dagger had been pressed against his skin.

Not even aware of the hand that had come to rest on her shoulder, or conscious at all of her steps and actions, the girl rushed to Peeta's side. Coming to kneel next to Finnick as this one had already begun what instinct had suddenly rushed to her mind. Still continuing to view her friend where Peeta had been seconds before.

As soon as Finnick rose from giving the boy two full rescue breaths, the red-haired's hands were on Peeta's chest. Her once trembling hands now steady as they pushed against the blonde's case in steady, regular compressions. And while her hands moved up and pushed down, Elowen's powerless sight locked on his face.

On the light brown strands of hair falling on his forehead which he so usually brushed away from his face. Those long eyelashes that were a curtain to his steel-blue eyes, now hidden from sight. The freckles bathing his nose and upper cheeks, which Elowen had always thought gave him a joyful, young look opposite of what both her and his life was full of.