𝐢.𝐯. 𝐬𝐮𝐠𝐚𝐫 𝐜𝐮𝐛𝐞𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐬𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐤𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐫𝐨𝐛𝐞𝐬

BY THE TIME THEIR TRAIN REACHED to the Capitol later on the day, all tributes had been announced

BY THE TIME THEIR TRAIN REACHED to the Capitol later on the day, all tributes had been announced. And the wealthiest and more thrilled people around the state had gathered to greet them on their arrival at the heart of their country, before they were all ushered to get ready for the annual Opening Ceremony. Their first and opening event for the Games.

Their way to show Snow's puppets before taking them to the slaughterhouse ─ or in this case, the arena.

So far, Elowen had been right on her presumptions: Katniss and Peeta were back to represent Twelve for the, and it was fair to say the audience had gone crazy when their names had been announced by none other than Caesar Flickerman, a few hours before they had arrived at the Capitol. The ginger had also seen herself on the screen when it came District five's turn, absently staring at the screen while the spectators had both cheered and lamented their angel's comeback to the Games.

She had also recognised Cashmere and Gloss, the victor siblings from One. With whom she had never talked nor crossed glances, but had seen once or twice whenever she had visited the Capitol. Sometime between those three years which had gone by since her first time as tribute. It had somehow shocked her too, when Finnick Odair appeared on screen. And a dizziness settled on her stomach under the awareness that she would have to fight him too ─ if she really lasted that long, in the bloodbath.

Like Wendell at five, he had met the crowd's applause and cheering by a risen hand in the air when his hame had was announced by the Four's escort. The ends of his lips going up in a confident smile while he walked forward in the platform as not longer and uniquely a victor. But back to a tribute. Yet his eyes had given off a different emotion to Elowen. A different story which his lips attempted to cover.

Deep inside, although Elowen didn't know to what point or depth, Finnick Odair had also been broken and ruined by Snow and his tricks. The smile, the playful glances, and the charm he owned both in his looks and words were just a form to cloak his authentic self; a mask. Just like Elowen's. Hers of a pure, perfect, heavenly good angel, who had caught everyone under her kind heart.

Snow had made the Alenerant carry a grace, and deliver sparkling joy and kindness to anyone who was to place their eyes on her. Hiding all the nightmares, guilt and suffer ─ all up to her distaste towards the Capitol and its people, she yet struggled to cope with. And she knew something similar had occurred with the blonde-haired male from Four; she had seen it on his eyes before.

When they last met. And on the first time, for a spark of a second. And when she had crossed glances with him when Elowen had been taken to talk with President Snow, on the celebration night of her Games.

If their eyes crossed again like that at the arena, and she saw that look in them, an emotion in which she saw herself reflected, the red-haired girl was helpless to think if she would have what it took ─ what it costed, to even defend herself from him.