𝐢.𝐢𝐯. 𝐚𝐬 𝐮𝐬𝐮𝐚𝐥, 𝐥𝐚𝐝𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭

THE REAPING DAY, DISTRICT 5

"WHAT A WONDERFUL MORNING, ISN'T IT?"

Except it wasn't. And Azura was fully aware of it. Despite her lips being parted in a large grin, and her dress and matching shoes being of a joyful and bright purple. Elowen could hear it in her voice, that should have been all excitement and delight, just like people in the Capitol wanted it. Whom, by then, would be fixed on their screens awaiting the once victors, and now tributes of each District, to be announced.

A pair of glass balls had been displayed by the Peacekeepers and arranged on the sides of where Azura stood, one including three crumpled papers and the other with just two. Microphone in place, the escort of Five had gathered everyone around the dais of the Justice Building, the crowd spread all around to witness such an unusual and extraordinary event. Because this time, Azura and her bubblegum hair weren't the only ones getting the District inhabitants' attention. Something else accompanied the woman on her annual speech on top of the large stone grey platform. Someone, else.

The six victors which the Five had scored (the remaining ones, at least) were all lined up behind her, women standing on the right side facing the platform, and the men on the left one. Divided by the space Azura took up a few steps forward, and all in front of the spherical body which carried their name within.

On the female's side and starting on the distant end of the dais, stood Elowen, with Callista taking the spot near her. The two friends, of course, had been taught and restrained of manifesting any signs of affection from any sort, till the chosen tributes were assembled. And so the red-haired held her hands joined on her back, her shoulders up and tensed by the eyes and gawks she felt on her.

The event itself, nonetheless, hadn't set her in an anxious or distressed condition, while she appreciated the balance aimed towards her to be picked. The Amapolern woman, rose tall and straight. Her lips met in a thin line and her eyesight focused on the far back of the masses, attempting to overlook those who had gathered nearby them who awaited for the tribute male and female to be called.

The other woman completing the female victors was a short lady around her forties, with tangled brunette hair and a lost gaze which focused on her feet. Elowen remembered seeing her once or twice, having caught her staring through one of the windows from the inside of the woman's house. Following her games, as people around five had reported, the woman had ended up so traumatized that she hadn't gone out of the house for years.

Another person looked after her, a woman. Providing food and medicines to her door whenever she required them. But she arrived and departed from the Victors Village as promptly and silently as she could, pretending to go unnoticed and not crossing words or glances with anyone in the neighbourhood.

Now, the woman showed to be bothered by the sunlight falling on her face, probably by her lack of vitamin D, and her left foot kept nervously tapping the floor in an apprehensive tendency. It wouldn't shock them if she suddenly decided to take and run away at any moment, judging by her condition. But she wouldn't get too far before the Peacekeepers intercepted her. And maybe that's why she stayed.