Rejection

I couldn't help smiling at how affectionate Jack was. He clung to me like a lovestruck schoolboy. It seemed as if his hands were always somewhere on me as we left the bath. Drying me with a towel, playing with my hair, holding my hand.

It was nice, but I couldn't enjoy it. A sudden realization struck me. I gasped and scurried to get dressed. He looked confused.

"What's wrong?"

"I forgot to meet the cleaners," I said, exasperated. "I have to go. I'll meet you downstairs for dinner."

I didn't wait for his response as I rushed down the stairs to the meeting room. Luckily, they were still there. The supervisors turned to look at me as I entered. One of them smirked, the others looked annoyed.

"Sorry," I blurted out, searching for an excuse. "I got caught up in something."

"Ms... Walton, right? Look, we get that Mr. Anderson's gone now and you're still new, but try not to be late next time. We got places to be too," one of them grumbled.

"Of course," I said nodding. "Thank you for your hard work today. You're dismissed."

They grunted vaguely and walked out. I let out a sigh when they left. Jack and I were together now, that was great, but I had other responsibilities too. I promised Thomas I would take care of Mr. Weston and the mansion. I was seriously neglecting the second part.

I felt a little disheartened as I walked towards the dining room. Jack lit up when he saw me, but that faded quickly when he saw my face.

"Anna, what's wrong?" He asked.

"Nothing," I mumbled, shaking my head.

"Did they say anything to upset you? There's more than one cleaning company in this area, I could-"

"No, no. That's not it," I interrupted. "I'm upset at myself. I feel like I'm forgetting really basic things. Important things."

"Darling, you're being too hard on yourself," he said, taking my hand. "Even Thomas had his days when he would lose track of time and forget. It happens. The mansion will survive one day if something was missed."

I nodded vaguely, but it still upset me. I was hired as a caretaker, not a girlfriend. I couldn't keep forgetting that. Relationship or not, I couldn't just drop everything else like it wasn't important. This was Mr. Weston's home, it was my home now. I wanted it to be well cared for.

He reached over and pinched my cheek gently. I glanced up at him.

"Anna, stop pouting," he said gently. He leaned in to kiss me. "Tomorrow is a new day. You're still new, you'll get better as time goes on."

I smiled a little. He was right, I couldn't let every little mistake get to me. I loved how he could comfort me so easily.

"Now, I don't know about you, but I've worked up quite an appetite," he said, winking.

I giggled and rolled my eyes at him. I started to fix us some plates. Tomorrow was a new day. A new man too. I felt sad knowing he would be gone again. At the same time, I looked forward to it.

I needed to figure out things with Arthur still. Maybe I misunderstood him last night. After all, I was half-asleep. And Victor...

God, I still didn't know how to fix that mess. Arthur suggested doing something special, but what? Give him something? Do something for him? Say something to him? What?

The questions buzzed around my brain, but no answers followed them. I knew he wanted to be independent, an individual. How could I make that happen?