Distance

His grip was tight on my wrist, but even if my hand was free I'd be too stunned to move. This was different from how Mr. Weston had kissed me before. This was rough, demanding. I was scared.

His body suddenly pulled away from me. I looked up to see Thomas dragging him forcefully by the collar. I wasn't aware the old man was so strong. He pulled Mr. Weston over to a nearby chair and shoved him into it. Mr. Weston rubbed his throat and coughed a bit.

"Christ, Tommy!" He shouted.

"Not a word," Thomas said coldly.

I'd never heard him use such a harsh tone toward Mr. Weston before. Mr. Weston stood up slowly.

"Look, Tommy, I-"

Thomas shoved him in the chair again and leaned down to his eye level. He braced himself on the armrests, trapping Mr. Weston.

"No Victor," Thomas said scornfully, "you listen to me. This woman is not your toy, she is not your slave, she is not your whore. She is an assistant, meant to help you in your daily living. Nothing more, nothing less. Now, we have already discussed my retirement, but I'll be damned if I leave this poor girl to your threats and harassment. Either behave yourself or you'll spend the rest of the day chained to this chair."

I stood there, mouth hanging open. True, Mr. Weston acted completely inappropriately, but I never expected to hear such a harsh speech from Thomas. Was he even allowed to talk to Mr. Weston that way? Could those threats even be serious?

Apparently, "Victor" didn't think so. He scoffed and rolled his eyes. They stayed like that a while, the tension was almost suffocating. However, he finally threw up his hands as if in defeat.

"Alright, Tommy! I'll control myself," he said, shoving Thomas' arms away. "But this is really your fault. You shouldn't bring home something so pretty if I'm not allowed to touch it."

Thomas clenched his jaw. Mr. Weston stood and raised his hands again.

"I'm just saying!" He sighed and crossed his arms. "Is breakfast ready at least?"

"Before anything, apologize to Ms. Walton," Thomas said sternly.

"Tommy, really-"

"Now."

I was really feeling nervous by this point. Yes, I had been debating my ability to stay at this job, but I certainly didn't want to get fired over a kiss!

"Thomas," I said quickly, "it's okay. Really! I-"

He held up a hand to silence me.

"Ms. Walton, I'm sorry, but you're being incredibly too kind right now. This delinquent deserves none of your patience or sympathy. If he insults you, make him apologize. The more you let him get away with the more he'll try. Now," he said, turning back to Mr. Weston, "apologize."

Mr. Weston made a disgusted noise and stood there silently for a moment. The sudden growling of his stomach broke the silence. Thank god "Arthur" was such a light eater. Mr. Weston let out a frustrated sigh and turned to me.

"Sorry!"

"Victor!" Thomas shouted.

"I'm sorry for assaulting you! Okay? Won't happen again! You have my word. Blah, blah, blah. Can we eat now?" He asked, annoyed.

Thomas pointed silently to the dining room. Mr. Weston stomped off in that direction. I stayed there in the entranceway, stunned. Thomas turned to me, he already looked exhausted.

"Of all the personas that had to pop up, it had to be him," Thomas sighed. "Though I guess I am glad I was here for your first time with 'Victor.' This might be the only one I actually need to train you on."