Chapter 5: The date

Graces POV:

I dont own a car, and we dont have public transportation, so i have to walk. Thats okay though. I dont mind it. It helps me forget all the things that have gone wrong in my life.

As i get closer and closer to the coffee shop, i start to have second thoughts. I start thinking to myself, 'What if he stood me up? What if he's not coming? He probably only asked to meet me so i can look stupid once i realize he isnt coming.'

Im standing in front of the coffee shop. I take a deep breath in and think to myself 'this is it. No turning back.' I walk through the doors, and the sweet smell of freshly baked bread and coffee hit me. I take another deep breath in as i stand in front of the door. I look for Conner, but he isnt here.

'Just what i thought. He stood me up.' I turned to the door to leave, when suddenly i run into something. Someone. "OH MY GOSH," says a male voice. "Im so sor- Grace?" I look up and see that im looking into the eyes of Conner O'Neil.

He smiles and says "sorry it took so long. My mom wouldn't stop talking. Let's go sit." I smile. 'He actually showed!' I tell myself.

We sit at a high table and the seats are high stools. The café has a 60's theme. Black and white checkered floor with waitresses wearing poodle skirts. The café also has a juke box that is playing old bands, like journey and the beetles.

"So," Conner says, jumping into his chair, "let's start from the beginning. Hi. Im Conner James O'Neil. I was born and raised here in Mississippi. I'm 20 years old and i go to college in Indiana. Indiana University to be exact. I-" he was interrupted by the waitress. He ordered a coffee with original creamer, while i, being the girl i am, ordered the pumpkin spice. The waitress leaves and he leans over the table. He looks deep into my eyes. He gets the biggest smile on his face which makes me blush.

"What," i ask, kinda giggly. 'I want to kiss him so bad, but i cant,' i think to myself. "H-has anyone ever told you," he started to say, "you have really pretty eyes." That makes me blush even harder and he can tell. "Aw. Well. Thanks." I try my best to avoid eye contact. Im scared that if i look into his wonderful eyes, ill loose it.

"Anyways," i say moving and he sits back on his stool. "Sorry," he said, lookin down. "Oh no. You're fine," i say. 'Omg hes so hot when hes embarrassed.'

"So tell me about you, Grace," he says with a smile. Before i could get one word out, the waitress comes back with our coffee. I take a sip of mine and nearly spit it out because i burnt my tongue. Conner giggles. "Ha. Are you okay," he asked. I nod my head really fast. "Its just really hot," i say.

"Anyways," i say, ending the embarrassment. "you wanted to know more about me?" I say with a smile. Conner looks up at me with a smile and nods.

"Well. My name isnt Grace. Its Angel Grace Monroe, but everyone calls me Grace. I dont like my name haha. Umm. Im 17 years old. I'll be 18 on Saturday, and i cant wait. I graduated my Junior year in high school, so last year. Um, I'm getting ready to have two jobs to help my mom with the bills and help support my younger siblings. I dont think there is any thing else." I finish saying. He looks at me in the eyes and smiles. "Your a pretty strong women. Where's your dad?" He asked.

I looked at my coffee and started to slowly stir it with my stirring straw. I was quite for a few moments. "He uh-" i clear my throat and choke down tears. "He died, last year to be exact. Like the first week school started." He fell silent. I cant look up, or he will see that im about to cry.

"He died in the hospital. He had gotten into a really bad car wreck and was air lifted to the hospital. He died two days later." Im still stirring my coffee and a tear runs down my cheek. I feel one of his hands stop my hand from stirring. He takes his other hand and, gently, wipes the tear.

"I- im so sorry," he says looking deep into my eyes. I just shrug. "I miss him," i say. Were silent for a few minutes.

"Hey, Grace," he says. "Yeah," i reply, still thinking about my dad. "I- uh- i wanted to know if you wanted to do this again some time?" I look at him with a smile, straight into his eyes, and said, "absolutely."

Thanks for reading!!! I hope you enjoined!!! If you did like and comment!! Update coming soon! :)