Gifts

I've been awake for literally five minutes when my phone starts beeping and my head pounding which, let me tell you, it's NOT the best combination when you've had less than three hours of sleep. I groan loudly and try to ignore the chirping sound, trying to concentrate on the smell of the brewing coffee, without results. I sit clumsily at the breakfast table, my head between my hands, and I start humming, hoping that it will make the headache go away. It feels like I've slept for just ten minutes, even if I came home last night. This is why I hate time zones. Ugh.

The phone keeps beeping and beeping and I'm beginning to hate it. I took it harshly, and look at it. There are a lot of twitter mentions, instagram mentions, messages, texts, every possible way to get through to someone, but Mommy's not dealing with this madness without a cup of coffee first.

Once my mind is set, I go on with what really matters during mornings, which is coffee. I fill a large mug with the brown nectar and I sniff it, before taking a sip. I sigh, contently, and it takes a couple of minutes before I start feeling human again.

In the meantime, the damn phone has not stopped beeping, and it's driving me crazy. What the hell is going on? Did someone leak a private picture of me again? God, I hope not, the last one is still haunting me after months.

I decide to take another cup of coffee and see exactly what is going on. It only takes just one minute of scrolling through my twitter mentions before I finally understand.

A huge smile spreads on my face while I open the youtube app to check it myself, needing the actual proof, by now too used to our fandom's ability with photoshop.

It's true, we actually hit the one million subscribers. I tap the phone eagerly, and before I even realize it I'm calling Scott - he is the only one that will be as excited as I am; besides, it seems only fair to congratulate each other, this success is just for us. So that's why I'm actually disappointed when I remember he can't answer since he's on the plane, while the only thing I want right now is to share my excitement with my best friend and partner in crime.

I mean, I know that it should be no big deal, since we already have millions of subscribers with Pentatonix, and we knew it was bound to happen one of these days anyway, but it makes me so happy in a way I can't even begin to describe.

I look at all the happy mentions, and I feel really grateful for the support of our fans. I decide that a tweet to let them know that I'm awake and happy about it is the right thing to do, at least until Scott will be able to pick up his phone and we can talk about something special to do to celebrate. We talked about some ideas back at home, but I don't know if we will actually be able to pursue them.

I wonder if we should do a live Q&A like many people asked us, that could be fun and terrifying. Maybe we could have our parents as guests. No wait, what am I even thinking, that would be horrible, they would just make us feel embarassed. People would love a Mike appearence, though. I'm also pretty sure that fans would just ask a lot of questions about Scomiche, and I'm really not ready to have those questions answered by my or Scott's parents. Oh the gifs, the stories and the comments that would generate.

So, that's a no-no.

----

I spend the rest of the morning wrapping presents, playing with my niece Adi and basically enjoying my family's company. It takes Scott almost two hours to finally call me, and I smile wide when I answer.

'Heeeey! Took you long enough to finally call me back!!'

I hear someone chuckle on the other line and Scott's muffled reply; he must be in the car with his dad. The mental picture makes my smile grow wider.