Family

It was too adorable to not record it, Mitch though with a lip bitten smile as he fidgeted with his phone, only pretending to pay attention to the screen as his eyes kept moving back and forward from the device to the scene in front of him.

It was the day after the big party, and the house was still a mess. The day before had been gorgeous, exactly what everyone had hoped for, but it seemed like the universe had decided that the sun had shone too bright. The sky was clouded, the sun casting a bright but almost dull light over everything, the air chilly - at least for the Los Angeles standards.

It might have been a bad day if Mitch wasn't so happy to be inside, comfortably seated in his big puffy chair, able to look at the overcasted day from the warmth of his house. And of course, what was happening next to him was making everything way more worth it.

His eyes landed on the big black couch, which was completely occupied by his very tall and very lazy best friend. The two had been relaxing in the spacious living room, enjoying the quiet with a welcoming feeling, their heads still pounding from the alcohol and the loud chatter of the previous night. A movie was on the tv, movie that none of them was watching, content enough to just mindlessly chat now and then, sipping their coffee.

It was a typical Sunday morning, or at least a typical morning when they were lucky enough to be home and not running all over the country, happy but stressed.

What was quite different was the small ball of skin and short fur settled on Scott's chest, something that rarely happened those days, given how busy they were. Wyatt was enjoying the lazy morning as much as they were, purring lightly as the blond petted his head and ears. He loved the attention.

Mitch was looking fondly at the duo, eyes twinkling, a small smile on his lips. He was happy. Happy to be home and having time to relax, happy to finally have to spend with the kitten, happy to spend some quality time with best friend - even if they weren't doing anything more than hanging around, comfortable in each other's presence.

Then his ears caught something - it was soft, and almost indiscernible, and he looked around, confused for a moment, before his eyes landed again on Scott. And the sight almost made him squeak.

Scott was still petting Wyatt, whose face was now closer to his, nuzzling lightly on the blond's fingers. He was singing to the kitten, making up words on the spot as his blue eyes were focused on how he was moving on his chest.

Mitch's heart tightened at the sight. It's not like Scott had never sung to their cat before - they both used to do it a lot when they had first adopted him, laughing whenever he would barrel down the room every time they would call his name in a sing-song voice. But they were singers, and there had been days when they were practicing all the time, so Wyatt had gotten used to it. He had stopped paying that much attention to it - and so they had stopped doing it.

These days, however, they didn't get to see him much - they were always out of town, and the cat barely had the chance to spend time with them. They were also always performing, so they had started to avoid singing when they were home, trying to rest their voices as much as they could. So seeing and hearing Scott singing to their adorable cat, well, it was something worth recording for Mitch.

He opened snapchat slowly, almost afraid that his best friend would notice and would break the spell - he wasn't going to risk it, not for anything in the world. He turned slightly, trying to get the best shot, his finger ready to press down on the recording button - and then he stopped. It was silly, but part of him wanted to keep the sight to himself. It was something so cute, that had such a feeling of home to him, that he wasn't sure he wanted to share with the world.

But he shared anyway. Scott didn't seem to notice - or if he did, he didn't show - but his voice, that had been faint, almost like he was ashamed of what he was doing, raised, so that Mitch could understand some of the words. The other hand, that had been mindlessly set on the couch, was playing lightly with the kitten's ear. Mitch could hear Scott smile by his voice.

The phone shook lightly as the tenor coughed to hide the delighted laugh that had almost escaped his mouth. He brought a hand to his mouth to cover up the giant smile that was forming on his lips, and decided to quickly share the brief video, before he could change his mind. Then, knowing he was being silly but not caring, he opened his camera app to record some more - this time, for himself.

It didn't took long before Wyatt's attention was captured by Mitch's movement, and so did Scott. The blond inclined his head, raising his eyes to look at his best friend - and Mitch was go glad he was still recording, catching the blonde wide eyed and blushing as he finally realized what was going on.

"Noooo," Scott whined, his arms sneaking under Wyatt's body to bring the kitten to cover his face, clearly embarrassed by the show he had put on for his best friend's amusement. "You're mean."

Mitch laughed, eyes wrinkling in contentment, making sure to save the recording. "You looked like you were singing to a baby," he commented, his dimples making an appearance as he perched on his seat, moving closer to the duo. "It was cute."

Scott moved the cat from his face, only enough to show his eyes - they looked even more blue and bright that day, as if that was possible. Mitch loved cloudy days.

"Well, he is my baby." The blond joked, a smile drawn on his lips.

It was true. The always said that Wyatt was Mitch's cat, and everyone around them - the fans, their friends, even their roommates - all agreed. But he was their cat. It didn't matter that Scott had not been very sure at the beginning, and that he had mostly agreed only to make Mitch happy. It didn't matter that he mostly hung around Mitch's room, and that he went home in Texas with him when he could.

Wyatt was theirs - almost like he was a sign of their bond, the tangible proof of their friendship.

Still, Mitch playfully shook his head, standing up from the chair and stretching his arms towards the kitten, bringing him to his chest. "Nope, he's mine."

He was about to straighten his back and return to his chair when he felt strong arms encircle him, pulling him down, gently but firmly. He half squeaked, surprised, but soon relaxed as he landed half seated and half sprawled on top of Scott, who was chuckling at Mitch's wide eyes. Surprisingly, Wyatt hadn't moved a single inch, too comfortable in the tenor's arms.

"You're both mine," Scott said in a quiet voice, moving lightly so that he could still hold Mitch, but giving him some free space to lie more comfortably. "You're my family." He hummed lightly on Mitch's hair, eyes half closed as he relaxed once again, the feeling of utter contentment washing over him, and he knew that his words were true.

Mitch smiled, cuddling back against Scott's chest, letting the warmth radiating from his and from the cat perched on his lap comfort him. He closed his eyes, not really listening to the movie still going on, his ears barely focused on the purring ball that was nuzzling his face on every part of him that could reach.

He was relaxed enough that he could have dozed off - and he would have been the happiest boy alive if he had, because it didn't happen often that they had time to doze - but Scott took that moment to resume his singing. Mitch listened to him, the warm powerful voice that he knew so well having a soothing effect on him, and his smile only grew, dimples showing on his cheeks.

Without even realizing, his mind recognized the song, and before he knew it he was singing too, his voice melding with Scott's, harmonizing in that way that it belonged only to them. None of them faltered when Wyatt chipped in, meowing along with them, nor when the sky decided that clouds were not enough, not without rain.

The two best friends kept singing, cuddled together on the couch with their cat, not caring about the rain, or the busy week that was starting, or the list of things they had to. They kept singing to each other and to Wyatt, enjoying their family time as long as they could. 

****

This sort of..happened. Blame Mitch's snap and blame Sreed09 because she uses my love for cats as a weapong against me. This is barely something that I typed without reading, so sorry for the mess - like always, it's almost 4am lol 

 I hope you enjoyed it :)