Chapter 8: What a Lovely Suprise

The place was a library. Shelves lined the walls full of thin paper backs wrapped in plastic and people shuffled through allies of comics. I didn't even know where to begin. Everything was perfectly organized and I found myself wandering throughout the store disregarding the reason that I came. I flipped through books admiring the artwork and reading the fine dialogue. I was impressed, but soon remembered that I came for a purpose.

Lone Wolf and Cub is a manga that came out in 1970. It is splendid, but yet, I couldn't find the first issue anywhere. I rustled through the darkest depths of Manhattan in search for it but it seems as if the comic was out of reach. Perhaps it would have been easier to find online, but really, who cares about the destination? The journey is what I really wanted.

I continued to walk along the shelves as I passed the signs hanging from the ceiling that read “J” and “K.” Finally I came to the Ls, and soon the LOs. My eyes scanned dozens of spines and it seemed as if I would never find it. But soon the word “Lone” came into sight. I gasped sharply as I leaned down to get the book. I was so excited I didn't notice the other person from across me doing the same. Her hand touched the comic first, mine accidentally stumbled over hers.

“Oh, I'm so sorry.” She said as we looked up at each other. Both of us kneeling, we were at eye level. At first I didn't recognize the girl, but in moments I realized who it was. The freckles in her eyes had a familiar sparkle and she laughed lightly. “I didn't even know anyone liked Lone Wolf and Cub besides myself.” I suddenly felt my pulse begin to speed up. I scoffed and looked down at the carpet. “Hey...” she began getting a curious tone in her voice. “...don't you go to my school?”

“Who, me?” I asked as my head shyly started to lift upwards.

“No...” Kate looked past me. “...I'm talking to that guy behind you.” I looked back to where her eyes were focused. Nothing was there but another shelf full of comics. She laughed again, and I couldn't help but join in this time. “You're name is Andrew, isn't it?” I smiled at the fact that she knew who I was. I nodded. “I'm Kate.” She held her hand out towards me and I took it with a firm grasp. Her touch was soft and delicate.

“What are you doing here?” Was all that I could think of to say. Kate took the comic from it's shelf and held it up.

“Well uh, I've been trying to get my hands on this for quite some time now.” What a coincidence. “First issue of Lone Wolf and Cub.” We came to an agreement that we would enjoy the book together. In seconds we were sitting side by side in two leather seats underneath a light. I looked over to her as she was infatuated with the comic. She seemed so different when she wasn't around other people.

During school she didn't have a hair out of place, her make up flawless, and unquestionable beauty illuminated . But now her locks were in a ponytail, eye liner the only substance on her face, and it seems as if she was human rather than an angel. She was even wearing glasses, which was a shock since she seemed so immaculate. Imperfect perfection, even more alluring than usual.

Several questions ran through my head all at once. Why did she keep her self image up for people at school? Why did it seem so natural for her to talk to me? Why did she hide her quirkiness?

“How's it treating you?” I asked. I really couldn't think of any ice breakers since this sort of thing was so foreign to me. Kate looked up from the pages and inflated half of her face.

“It's quite interesting. I have read the digital version of this before, but never had the tangible copy.” She handed me the book and something about her hand was unusual. There was black gunk beneath her fingernails, my only thought of what it could be was motor oil. I took the book from her and set it down on my lap.

“You work on cars?” An interested tone in my voice. She didn't seem like the type who would be into something like that.

“Oh...” Kate put her hands at her side as her face slightly flushed. “...you noticed?” She looked diagonally down in attempt to avoid eye contact.

“No, don't be embarrassed by it. Thats really cool. I could never do anything like that.” Cars were not my thing. While most guys were completely fascinated by the idea of the motor, it just didn't quite catch my attention.

“You think it's cool?” She looked up at me as her lips spread into a grin. “Most people wouldn't think so. Especially Chance and my parents. Chance always gets angry at me when I can fix his car better than he could. And well, I guess my parents just don't think it's very lady-like.” She shrugged.

“I see. I guess I can relate. Bradley and Adam don't really like how I'm into music. Although it's something I really want to do, Adam keeps trying to push me into becoming an architect. Bradley says I should do what makes me happy, although I can tell my choice won't make him happy.” We continued conversation like this and before I knew it my tense body loosened up. I was enjoying Kate's company and it seems as if she was enjoying mine as well. Somehow the topic drifted over to Chance.

“He can be a really great guy sometimes. I know he hurts people and that he is very ignorant. I don't understand why he does it, maybe he just doesn't know what they are going through.” The way Kate talked about him sounded like she didn't know much about Chance internally. They haven't been dating for that long, so I guess it was kind of understandable.

“He knows me.”

“What do you mean?” I explained my situation. I didn't tell her about the day in Central Park or anything that had to do with violence. “You mean, you used to know him?” I nodded as I stared down at my lap. She placed her hand on my forearm as I felt my body tighten up again. I was no longer comfortable, but her touch was delightful. She really seemed to care and that was something very few people did. “He can be a really nice guy. He sometimes brings me flowers, when I am upset he's there, but I don't really think he is 'the guy.' He is just really hot headed sometimes, you get what I mean?” I knew exactly what she meant. “I care for him, but I think he only cares about himself.”

“It seems that way doesn't it?” We sat in silence for a few moments.

“How is it like having two fathers? I can barely deal with one.”

“It's alright. Definitely not as unusual as most people think it is. Then again, I have never had a mother. I'd tell you about that, but there isn't much to tell.”

We began talking about her love for singing, which was only meant for past times. She revealed that she started because her mother would sing to her when she was a kid. Kate mimicked her mother and soon found her voice. She explained more about her parents and from her words they seemed like pleasant people. I nodded at her as she asked. “What do your parents do for a living?” I told her about Bradley and Adam's jobs and she smiled in approval. “That's really cool. They sound awesome. I'd love to meet them some time. I haven't really heard of too many gay couples raising a child.”

“Usually it doesn't happen, although I am not the only one. What do your parents do?” Her face went from giddy to serious. All smiles quickly decimated as she looked forward at a Marvel poster. She didn't speak. I wondered if she even heard me or not. “Do they have jobs?” She nodded and the only sounds were crickets. Her mouth opened to speak, but unfortunately she was interrupted by an annoying vibration coming from her pant leg. She rolled her eyes as she picked up the phone.

“Hello?” She spoke into the black rectangle. It didn't seem as if the conversation she was having was very pleasant for her comments had a faint starchy tone in them. “Yeah, I'll be there shortly.” She hung up the phone and put it back in her pocket. “Hey, I have to go. Chance really wants to see me. Can I see your phone for a second?” I was confused on why she wanted it, but I did as she said. She unlocked it and then started typing something into the touch screen. She handed the phone back to me, and what I saw on the screen made my jaw drop slightly. It read “Kate Gerrette” and next to it was ten digits I thought I'd never see. “We should do this again sometime. It was nice talking to you.” With those words she left as I stared at the phone in awe.