Chapter 6: Yin & Yang

In the upper west of Manhattan lies a borough known as the Bronx. The sidewalks are cracked, graffiti covered the walls, the roads stained, the grass non existent, and the trees as dead as the cemetery. When people think of Manhattan they picture the Statue of Liberty, the Twin Towers, the Empire State Building, and Times Square. The ugly truth is that this concrete jungle has areas barely habitable by it's residents.

Poverty sweeps through out the kingdom. Local mothers and fathers may work up to four jobs, kids may not see three squares for weeks, and teenagers may drop out of school to help their parents pay bills. It is definitely not the ideal way for someone to live, but sometimes you just have to make the best out of what you have.

The Bronx is mostly filled with minorities. While most of these people are humble, there are many who give the Bronx a bad name. Gangs file in, drugs poured like Yosemite Falls, and urban soldiers were recruited daily. However, one group in particular puts everyone else to shame.

The Crow's Feet is an urban army that is not one to reckon with. The Crow is the general, and his tactics are cruel and unusual. He recruits his soldiers the way most gangs do. He promises power, money, respect, and the idea of being at the top of the food chain. Through his flesh stained smile and chalk pale skin, he could convince anyone to do almost anything.

The upper east side of Manhattan is a more fortunate one. Buildings that touched the sky, taxis that flooded the streets, vegetation that spread like wild fire, and walls that were as clean as a whistle. The place was as lively as church on Sunday. This is the more recognized part of the city, the part most people thought about when the state “New York” was mentioned. The number of people on the pavement seemed to flock in moles. Everyone was busy, even during the night.

Money is not an issue here. In fact, the issue may be that the people have too much money. Gucci was sported as if they had a blow out sale, multi-million dollar town homes were everywhere, and it seemed as if people flashed their wallets like if it was going out of style. What an American dream.

The ones who lived here were celebrities, Manhattan officials, miscellaneous millionaires, and lawyers. Not everyone was flashy and not everyone lived in an expensive home, but prejudice was strong here. The neighborhood gossip consisted of the ones with lesser jobs and smaller homes such as construction workers and teachers. Drugs had a heavy influence here just like the Bronx, and perhaps even more prominent due to residents having money to afford it.

This place was not safe from gangs. Although the violence was much more controlled, Bronx gangsters and the Crow's Feet often caused trouble. This part of the city had a guardian though. One who's soul purpose is to contradict the Crow's wrong doing.

The Pyro's were led by none other then Pyra. Although Pyra could be just as demented as the Crow, she stands up for justice. She influences her insurgents with local speeches that encourages the youth, the middle aged, and sometimes even the elderly to help fight the Crow's Feet. Her words of wisdom inspire many and have changed the lives of thousands. She practices what she preaches, doing everything in her power to do what is right.

Both groups main source of income was the distribution of drugs. Primarily marijuana, crystal meth, and cocaine.

In the heart of the Bronx a tattered paint chipped warehouse lie with guards surrounding the place, the Crow's office being inside. The oak of the desk was worn, the room dusty, and medieval paintings hung on the walls. Other forms of ancient art decorated the room, all Gothic. There was also several torture devices such as the Head Crusher, the Judas Chair, and the Spanish Donkey.

On the opposing side was a condo on the outskirts of the upper east end of Manhattan. Pyra's office was on the up most floor. At ground level and throughout the building her Pyro's offered protection. Her sanctuary was spotless as traditional Japanese vases, paintings, and other art furnished the room. Her pine desk had nothing on it but a laptop and a cup of steaming sake.