Chapter 18: The Juilliard School

The entrance to the building was grand. It was crafted entirely from plexi glass that revealed the staircase inside and towering over the front door were big white letters that read “The Juilliard School.” It had been my dream for as long as I could remember to walk through these doors. Thanks to Mrs. Clawstrike, that dream is now being crossed off my bucket-list.

I made it to the front counter as a woman in her thirties, maybe early forties, greeted me. “Well hello there, sir. Welcome to The Juilliard School! How may I help you?”

“Um, actually I am here to practice with the Juilliard Jazz Ensemble.” The woman smiled at me as if she knew who I was. I held up my saxophone case. “The campus is huge, as I am sure. I am not quite certain where to go.”

“Your name is Andrew Mayhem, correct?”

“Yes it is, ma'am.”

“Okay, the ensemble's practice room is being renovated at the moment. So right now they are practicing in the Lincoln Center at Dizzy's Club Coca-Cola. That is where they usually have their performances, as I am sure you know. I may be able to escort you there myself if you'd like?” I nodded at her offer, because quite frankly I had no friggin' clue how to navigate around this place. “Okay then, just one second please.” She turned around and told someone she was going to be back in just a few minutes. Then she walked out from behind the counter and stood at my side. With her heels on, she was an inch or two taller than me. We began walking through the campus.

“So, I saw your video. Is that the video you'll be using to enter the school?”

For a second I had no clue what she was talking about, and then I remembered why I was here. “Oh no, of course not! I'm sure that was a mess compared to other Juilliard entries. When I attempt to enter I will definitely play something much more enjoyable.”

“I enjoyed it.” She looked over to me, smiling warmly. “In fact, I was quite impressed. I am actually one of the judges of the jazz entries as well the receptionist. I know what you're wondering, why am I also the receptionist? Well, I just think it's fun actually. Seeing all the people come in, I love it. I never get tired of someone's first reactions when they enter Juilliard. It is quite breath-taking.” She looked over at me again. “And well, in times like these, the extra money is nice.”

It was quite amazing knowing that this woman, who was a Juilliard Jazz Entry Judge, knew who I was. Realizing how many impressive entries she must have viewed, she must have saw that special glow in me that Mrs. Phillip was talking about. I looked for a name tag on the front of her shirt, but unfortunately she must have taken it off before we left. “I'm sorry ma'am, I don't think I asked for your name?”

“Valerie Snipes.”

“I'm Andrew Mayhem, as you already know.” I held my hand out to her as she shook it firmly. We were now staring face to face, as a friendly grin came to both of our lips. After a few minutes of other small talk and walking, I had discovered that Ms. Snipes was single, she played the guitar and violin, and she had been working for Juilliard ever since she had graduated from it. Talking to her was nice, and she would definitely be one of my secret weapons for when I applied after I graduated highschool.

“It was nice meeting you, Andrew. This is it, the Dizzy's Club.” We came to an entrance to a room. “I hope you enjoy your time here at The Juilliard School. If you want any further tours let me know. I'd be glad to show you around.”

“Thank you, Ms. Snipes. I will definitely have to take you up on that offer.” She waved at me, I waved back, and then she walked away. I entered the room as a wave of creative talents washed over my ears. The overwhelming music was not bad, it was quite lovely actually, almost like taking a bite into a heavily seasoned steak. Really good, but yet strong, making you feel like you should have started with something a little less prominent.