Chapter 17: The MCP and MEP

Dahlia was asleep when I left her home, and although I'd love to stay and watch over her, unfortunately something even stranger was happening to me. The irritation had begun to swell down, although it still throbbed like hell. The bus was my location, seconds from getting off right in front of the library.

When I got off of the bus I hardly looked at the outside of it. I didn't have time to spare, I spent more time at Dahlia's house then originally planned. “Hi, do you guys have any books on the MCP or MEP?” I asked the librarian at the front desk when I got inside. She raised her eyebrow at me.

“Right this way.” She led me down an alley of books. “You know, it's quite odd that you are researching them. Not too many kids are interested in reading this non-fiction stuff. They are more into reading Marvel, or DC Universe. What is the occasion?”

“Research paper.” I lied. The librarian scoffed, climbed up a sliding ladder, and pulled out two hardbacks that were colossal. If I didn't read the cover as she was pulling them off the shelf I would have guessed they were encyclopedias. Great.

“Here's all you need to know about the MEP and MCP. There's more if you need it. Quite an interesting topic, if I do say so myself. Have fun, and if you need anything else, I will be at the front desk.” I nodded as she left the books stacked in my arms. Well, might as well get started now, right?

Since the book about the MCP was on top of the other, I started with that one. Scanning my eyes intently over the pages, soaking in as much information as I could. One passage really caught my eye, pretty much a summary of what the whole organization was.

In 1976, American scientists went to work on creating mutants. Inspired by the loss of the Vietnam War, the military was looking for a new weapon to ensure that they will not lose the next one. Something that was stronger, faster, and could endure more than a normal human being. They got the idea from various comic books floating around at the time, wondering if it was possible for such a creature to exist in the real world. In June of the same year, the scientists were equipped with a high-tech lab and started their new project.

They tried everything, fusing human DNA with animals, genetically rendering a human sperm to become artificially unique, and injection of chemicals to an already live human. A few different types of non-humans were made, therefore giving them the title of 'Mutants.' The operation became known in history as the MCP after a few short months, standing for the Mutant Creation Program.

The Mutants that were documented came in various types, although it is said hundred of other failed experiments were either slaughtered or died of natural causes.

Corporalis: Also known as cross species, are probably the most common of these mutant experiments. They take abilities from whatever animal they have been fused with.

Tenax: Hundreds of these have been made. They are basically a tank with legs, so strong they could pull a full size tree out of the ground with their bare hands.

Estuans: No one is certain on the rarity of these, or how many have existed. They have the power to make and manipulate fire.

Rappelers: A dozen or so of these have been recorded. They have the ability to watch something, and then be able to perfectly imitate it. Some have even been known to be able to see things in slow motion during a tense situation.

Desultors: These are the rarest of the mutants. In fact, only two are known to ever exist. They can teleport, but it isn't exactly limitless.

Other undocumented mutants have been spotted, but these are the ones that are for sure known.

Check the Table of Contents to be directed in the topic you'd like more information about.”