Chapter Twenty One: Fate's A Bitch

*Four Months Later*

Oscar pulls into his parking space, grateful that the snow had already been cleared from the parking lot. He gets out of the vehicle and pulls his suitcase from the back seat, feeling a shooting pain run through his ribs when it jerks towards the ground. He extends the handle and heads inside, just wanting to be back in his apartment. As much as he loves his family, the holidays are always exhausting. And with Pierre's schedule not lining up with his, he had to deal with his family alone. He's in the hall, fumbling with his keys, just wanting to be back in his place.

"Oh Captain, my Captain."

He laughs and turns, seeing Jade leaning on the doorframe of her apartment, a smile on her face. He approaches her and pulls her tightly into a hug, picking her up off the ground.

"Hey, Jay."

He puts her back down, just now noticing she changed the blue half of her hair to match the pink on the other side. He smiles at her.

"I like this," he tells her, gesturing to her hair.

"Thank you. So how were your holidays?"

"Good but could've been better. One of my cousins figured out I got arrested and decided the entire family needed to know."

"Jaclyn?"

"Jaclyn."

"Bitch. I mean, I guess we're just lucky that the thing living in there put cameras in and the police found them. Jesus Christ, going to that funeral, everyone was just staring at me because there was no hiding what was done. Her brother was a great support though and I think me being there was good for him as well since he knew about us."

As Jade talks, she's waving her hands around and something catches Oscar's eye. He grabs onto her hand, twisting her arm so he can see her wrist, a brightly coloured band tattooed on, partially hidden by her bracelets.

"You got a tattoo over the break?" he asks.

She nods and starts pulling off her bracelets to better show the tattoo. She turns her wrist a few times before Oscar notices something.

"Hold up. Are those little patches our initials?" he asks.

"Yup," she sighs. "All five of us. The best crew in existence."

Before Oscar can say anything else, the building manager starts coming down the hall, a girl with red hair and someone who looks like her mom following her. Oscar steps closer to Jade so he's out of the way. The building manager leads the two girls into Apartment Thirteen, shocking both Oscar and Jade.

"No fucking way," Jade curses. "Is this a joke or is he seriously showing someone Apartment Thirteen right now?"

"It's been four months. There's no way he seriously put that place back on the market already," Oscar argues.

"I guess we don't know that anyone's looking at it."

The door to the hall opens again and Carter comes in, rubbing her eyes. She barely opens them as she walks. If Oscar didn't grab onto her arm when he did, she probably would have walked right past them. Without saying anything, she pulls him into a hug.

"Hey," she greets. "Glad to see you decided to come back and not look for somewhere else for the second semester."

"Well Pierre and I have been talking about getting a house next year and getting the fuck out of here but that's a summer project."

The door behind them opens, the building manager leading the girl and her mom out. They starts down the hall. Carter narrows her eyes, shaking her head.