Chapter One: Welcome Home

She pulls her car into the parking lot, looking at empty spots as she passes them. She needs to find spot thirteen. That's the one she's allowed to use free of charge. It came with the apartment. She really should have been paying attention when Dusan brought her here with her furniture. She slows down, looking for any empty space so she can figure out where she's supposed to be.

Eventually, she sees spot sixteen, no car in the spot. She continues on for three more spaces, seeing spot thirteen sitting empty, waiting for her. Spot twelve also happens to be empty so she parks a little closer to that one other than spot fourteen. After she gets everything inside, she can put her car away properly.

As soon as she puts her car in park and turns it off, she lowers her sunglasses, looking at the building. She knows that the majority, if not all, of her neighbours should also be studying at the university. Hopefully, she could get close to them and actually make some real friends. Hell, there might always be someone studying Law near her. Maybe she'll find a permanent study buddy who can help her get through the Hell that she knows will be Law School. She opens the locket hanging from her mirror, seeing pictures of both of her brothers. Arkyn was going into Law, and he made it to his fourth year. He made it there before...

She shakes her head, hoping the thought will scatter. She just needs to make it two weeks before Dusan can get off work for a week and will come to stay with her. She pushes her sunglasses up on top of her head and grabs her keys out of the ignition. She gets out of her car, keeping her eyes on the building. For it being days before school starts, the place seems surprisingly dead. She moves over to her trunk and pops it, starting to collect her things.

-13-

"Has anyone heard from Yumi yet?"

Jade walks behind Pierre and puts her hands on his shoulders. He stops and she jumps up, wrapping her arms around his shoulders. He hooks his arms under her legs, boosting her up so he's more comfortable. Carter shakes her head, silently laughing.

"She said she would text when she gets through airport security. She's supposed to be back sometime tonight," Oscar explains. "I offered to pick her up from the airport when she lands if anyone wants to come for a drive."

"Does she need to pick up her car tonight too?" Jade asks him.

"No. She can't get it until tomorrow at the earliest if she actually wants her own car to drive around this year."

"Well, if I'm still awake, I'm down for a drive," Jade offers, tightening her grip on Pierre.

"While I would love to, I think I might pass," Carter says. "No reason for us all to go. I'll hug her when she gets back here."

Oscar bumps his shoulder into Carter, almost knocking her off the sidewalk into a random car. She gets her bearings and shoves him back into Pierre. Pierre's grip on Jade slips for a moment so her arms get tighter around him. He manages to catch her before she falls and boosts her back up.

"Didn't you go to South Korea for two weeks this summer to visit her and meet her Grandma, Jade?" Pierre asks.

"I did. Honestly, if I could've stayed there, I would have loved to. I don't know why she chose to come here rather than staying in that beauty of a place. I'm jealous she gets to be from somewhere like that."

Oscar's eyes trail off, looking around at the parking lot. He catches sight of a girl by her car, struggling with her boxes. He smiles.

"Looky, looky. I think we got ourselves a new neighbour," Oscar says. "I'll be right back."

Oscar tucks his hands into his pocket and he takes off towards the girl standing by her car. Jade furrows her brows and jumps off Pierre's back, following Oscar on his mission. Carter and Pierre chase after those two, confused about the whole situation. Oscar reaches the girl first, coming up behind her.