19

MINGHAO was in trouble

MINGHAO was in trouble. He was in deep shit and he knew he was because his mother barely texted him. The last time he got a stream of text was when he messed up during his piano recital and she didn't want to talk to him because of it. After practice had ended, Minghao had dashed out of the club room as unfamiliar faces flooded the area. He apologized to Jun as he headed out the door, knowing that leaving him so quickly was somewhat rude (although Jun was already aware that he was going to head home sooner or later). "Fuck!" Minghao yells, running home as he the worst possibilities entered his head.

His father was out for work, knowing his mother she probably had some crazy scheme up her sleeve since no one was there to stop her. Did she find out? Was Minghao too loud when coming back this morning to where the answer was clear as ice? As he spotted the two-story home, he doesn't hesitate to pick up his speed and get his keys ready. Arriving at the front door, his key slips between his fingers and the boy inserts the small brass object into the slot. Turning it open and removing the key from its partner, he closes the door and locks it. Kicking off his shoes, he runs to his room as the house was too quiet for things to be okay. The stairs were a hassle, especially with his heavy backpack. But, that doesn't stop him from activating his Lighting Mcqueen mode because once he opened his door, his mother was packing his items. "What are you doing!" He yells, throwing his bag aside.

"You think you can lie and hide from your mother like that Minghao? Coming home at four a.m. in the morning while I'm in the midst of getting ready for work? Do you think I'm an idiot!"

"Yeah, maybe I think you are! Look at what you're doing!" Minghao shoots back, she's taken back as that was not the answer she was looking for, "Dad doesn't approve of this, he doesn't! You're not sending me back to China, I'm going to finish school here! I'm going to stay here!"

"Minghao, I already warned you and you decided to not listen. You had a chance to redeem yourself but look! You're out with some boy who will probably forget about your existence the second he finishes high school!"

"That's not true!" Minghao shakes his head, refusing to accept that possibility. Jun wouldn't forget about him, that didn't seem like him. "You're making up lies so I will accept the stupid ticket and go back! I'm not, I'm not gonna listen to you and your decisions mom! You're controlling every aspect of my life and I'm so done!"

She gets up after shoving a pile of folded clothes into a box, "I have made sacrifices for you Minghao in order to get the best education out there. Right now, you're throwing it away and how does that make me feel? I gave you everything and you didn't appreciate it once!"

"Because I never wanted it, mom!" He tries to get the words through her head but knowing her stubborn self and thick skull - it would be no use, "I have never liked violin or piano lessons, being tutored for hours and not having the time to be with friends. You formed my childhood into what you wanted to do, not what I wanted to do!"

"It was for the best."

"No, it wasn't!" He screams, the volume of his voice was unacceptable and he was aware of this. Suddenly, he felt a hand forcefully glide across his face. Skin stinging as a result of the aftermath.

"Don't you dare raise your voice that loud Xu Minghao," She warns, but the damage was already done. "I'm not accepting this type of behavior from you. This Sunday is your flight back to Liaoning, I've already planned your enrollment into your cousin's school."

"Xueqin doesn't even like talking to me! He won't be any help! None of this will."

"He doesn't talk because he has priorities Minghao, unlike you."

"Stop making assumptions about me mom! I do have priorities, one of them are my friends Soonyoung and Wonwoo, another is Jun! He even feels the same way!" Minghao argues back, his mother squints her eyes as she was disappointed by his words,

"Who is this Jun boy! Is he the one you're always with, what is he? Your boyfriend?"

He clutched his fist, knowing that this would be a mistake. The next words would only add more fuel to the fire and this would burn him to a crisp. "Yeah! Maybe he is mom, what are you going to do about it!" And with that given response, she turns silent.

"You're with a boy Minghao?" She turns her head, releasing a scoff, "imagine what the family would say if they learned about this. You're a disgrace, I can't believe you trail away from the future I've built and become one with a boy. You're definitely going back, break up with him immediately. You're not going to see him again."

"No! You're not sending me back and you can't force me to get on that stupid plane," Minghao grabs his backpack although all the stuff inside of it is worthless, "I'm leaving." Is the last words he said before dashing down the stairs, his mother stays put, shouting out phrases in Mandarin as she herself has had her last straw,

"Xu Minghao you have nowhere to go!"

"You're wrong!"

Well, she was technically right. But, Minghao had no desire to be in the same building as her. He was surprised that he didn't start crying on spot, knowing that being sent away would mean no more Soonyoung and Wonwoo.

And of course, Junhui.

It had been about twelve minutes since volleyball practice had ended, Jun was probably heading home and he should tell him about the chaos that just erupted but - he had a major problem, he had no clue where he was going. It was not like he was going to sleep on a park bench tonight, no he could do way better than that. Besides, bothering Soonyoung and Wonwoo about this would be too much as they lived a bit farther away. Plus, he's never met their parents so asking to stay the night might be too much to request for. Slipping his phone out his pocket, he directs himself to his contact list and taps on the name. Placing the device next to his ear, he waits for the call to go through. Once it does, Minghao nervously bites his lower lip as he couldn't believe he was asking this,

"Hao, what's up?" Jun questions through the other line.

"Is it okay if I stay the night? I've got a big problem ahead of me..."