Chapter 3: The Spiral Codex

Chapter 3

Ferrah entered the small bookshop on Greenwood street. A small table sat to the right side of the front door. A sign was taped to the table with the words 'Town Favourites' written on its surface. Some of the books included 'Life of Pi', 'Catcher of the Rye', 'To Kill a Mockingbird', and 'The Book Thief' were laid out on the table. Nice book choice, thought Ferrah.

She started going through the game plan in her mind. All she has to do is ask for books on the supernatural, see if they have anything Inhuman and if they do, buy it with the money given to her by James. Later, return to the motel to do research on sirens in the books that she finds. Also, scan the shop for Inhuman symbols. Taking a deep breath, she tried to focus on her mission not on what could go wrong.

Ferrah walked through the shop, until she saw Meghan Chambers. Headphones were covering her ears, music lightly buzzing out of them. She was organizing books on the shelves, bobbing her head back and forth to the beat. She had thick, red hair cascading around the sides of her freckled face. A light violet knit sweater was draped over her shoulder matched with sky blue jeans and Galaxy converse. When she finished putting away the books, she turned around. Her eyes widened and she jumped back. Surprised by Ferrah's presence.  

“Hi, when did you come in here?” Asked Meghan, taken a back.

“I didn't mean to scare you.” Ferrah responded, meekly.

“Oh, it's fine. Can I help you anything?” Meghan questioned, sweetly. Still a bit flustered.

“Actually, I'm looking for some books on Latin mythology.” Ferrah said, quickly, in a low volume. 'Latin Mythology' is a code word for anything Inhuman. Often bookshops in small towns are run by Inhuman who don't belong to any of the Community or mortals that know about the Inhuman world, known as pernix. Who sell Inhuman journals or some ancient Grimoire to a select clientele.

“Actually, my mom used to sell a lot of Latin Mythology books to a few speciality customers. I'll bring them out for you.” Replied Meghan with a hint of scepticism. Then, walked through a swinging door at the back of the shop. Ferrah stood awkwardly in the shop. Swallowing a mouth full of air, composing herself. She looked around the bookshop for any clues of pernix life. She walked up to the check out desk to look for any protective symbols. There was nothing on the desk, under the cash register or on the stool set next to the check out desk. Just to be sure, she decided to use pixie-pulverem. She formed a fist around her the vile on her necklace. At first there was nothing, but then she felt the dust soaking into the palm of hand. The tingling sensation soaking into her palm, slowly rushing up her body. She kept her eyes close until it stops at the back of her eye sockets. She opened her eyes. Her vision was tinted bright blue, looking around up and down every aisle for any magic. A swirled symbol and a four curved corner star shape symbol on the side of a bookcase at the back of the store. The symbols for innocence and bliss. How odd. These symbols are used to make somebody over look details. Often used to make people from pernix families ignore the Inhuman world.

The door swung back open and Meghan emerged from its hinges. Ferrah scrabbled away from the symbols. Meghan was carrying a brown cardboard box, dropped it on a medium sized circular table in the small reading lounge at the front of shop. Inside the box was a mix of leather bound journals, textbooks and small pocket books.

“I can have half a dozen of these boxes in the back. If you want to go through these I'll get the others for you.” Meghan said, somewhat winded.

“I can help, if you want.” Ferrah offered, half-heatedly.

“Um, sure. Just don't touch anything that looks like it's about to break.” Meghan answered pleasantly.

She lead Ferrah behind the swinging door. The back room was bare in exception to the excessive amount of books; Classic novels, math textbooks from the fifties, romantic werewolf novels. Meghan confidently wadded in between the labyrinth of books. When she reached the back of the store, she lifted a box from the stack. Ferrah followed and did the same. After they brought all the boxes to the front room of the shop, Meghan started conversing with Ferrah.