Chapter 1: The Day it all Started

Chapter One

Tall stacks of books, clutter the floor. Meghan sat in a small burrow of classic novels stationed the room at the back of the bookshop. Doing exactly what any teenage girl would do in a bookstore. Search Tumblr. Nothing out of the norm. So far, her day has been as interesting as every other day in Hilton, NY. It's a mystery why the citizens of Hilton and neighbouring towns don't take advantage of the 'Beloved' bookshop. That being the secondary reason for the excess books littering the shop. Mostly the problem is caused by Meghan's father forgetting cancelling shipment orders. Her mother was the one who kept the business open for years by trading one of a kind books to those who collect rare literature. Since she was put six feet under ground, the business has struggled.
Twenty minutes later, Meghan was on her way to school. She has attended a borderline educational institute called Hilton Public High School or HPHS for short, for her freshman and sophomore year. The idea of being forced to show up at a building that smells like onions and sweaty bodies, from 8:30 to 3:30, would turn anybodies stomach. Plus constant torment, and uninterested teachers, HPHS Meghan's a torture chamber, rather than her school. All she wants is to educate herself, and help her father with Beloved.
Fluffy, dark clouds float across the sky. Sad little puddles sprawled on the sidewalk. The world looked as if it was giving up. Meghan sat on the damp bench on a corner of Prince and Greenwood street. Waiting for her best friend Leia, to come drive her to school. Together, they form the misfit population of the school. Well... with a few exception. Leia has always expressed her Mexican heritange a little too often in primary school to avoid bullying, therefor ending best friends with Meghan. They get along well enough, but sharing no common interests can sometimes make their relationship difficult.
Before Meghan knew it, a large chunk of rusted metal was motoring down the center of Prince illegally. It then stopped without pulling over.
"Get in the car, bitch." Yelled Leia, a little too loudly. Getting the attention of a few bystanders.
Meghan climbed into the passenger seat. The leather seat was torn and stuck back together with rainbow strips of duck tap. A lair of junk food packages coat the floor and the air had a light fragrance of cat urine. It was not the nicest ride, but it was functional, and that's all that matters.
"You know, bitch isn't the most flattering nickname." said Meghan, a little annoyed.
"Ugh! If you don't over think it, it's not." Leia stated.
"That makes no sense." Responded Meghan, puzzled.
"I'm so done with you right now." Leia snapped, giving Meghan the hand.
"Okay. Either you're angry with me, or I unconsciously say something offensive." Meghan said, under her breath.
"It's not anything you did. It's what you don't do." Responded Leia, annoyed.
"I'm sorry I guess." Leia said as she leaned back in her seat.
"You're too nice. Every time I say anything mean to you, you apologize. You need to learn to defend yourself. No one would ever mess with you if you just punch one of them."
"I'm not a violant person." Meghan said with a sliver of defence. Leia sighed loudly, then drowsily started the car and put it into drive. An awkward silence weighted on both of them for the most of the ride. Leia kept her consentration on the road and Meghan was on her phone. Until Leia turned to Meghan said seriously.
"You know. I'm not joking, you have to make them stop."
Meghan quietly replied. "I will"
Leia parked horizontaly in two spots. She glanced at Meghan. Looked at nothing for a second, looked back, and stares deeply into Meghan's eyes, tilted her head to the left side and a questioning expression crossed her face. Meghan leaned back, uncomfortable in her seat.
"What are you doing?" Meghan asked. Leia rolled her eyes dramatically.
"I'm trying to figure out what you're feeling. You've been so distant lately. Totally sociopathic" Leia stated.
"Thanks. How very nice of you to point it out." Meghan replied, sarcastically.
"Not in a bad way." Leia corrected.
"How can that not be bad?" Meghan wondered.
"I'm just worried about you." Leia said simply. A wave of sadness hit Meghan. she looked down,trying to stop her eyes from watering. As they disapeered, her face turned to stone.
"I have Academic Mathematics first and you have Applied English, see you later." Meghan said quickly, then jumped out of the truck. Holding her backpack close to her chest, keeping her face emotionless. Walking as fast as possible, avoiding glances from fellow students. Tears welling in her tear ducks, rimming her water line. Meghan had to shut out the world about a year and a half ago. She can't process, never mind get over, the death of her mother.
She stepped into the girl's washroom, leaned on the wall across from the door. Took a few deep breaths, dried her eyes. She can't get emotional. She faced the mirror, unhappy with her appearence. Her freckled face matched fiery hair frizzing out of her scull. A few pimple crowded her face. Nothing looks right. She's not pretty enough to 'one of those girls', but sadly, acting like the type of girl that everyone likes is Meghan's only skill. Everybody has to be good at something; math, baking, art. The only thing Meghan's good at is menipulating and lying. No wonder she has no friends.
Suddenly, Rose Timons strutted in with her 'friends' Sasha Clark, Fiona Stewart and Taylor Longeway. Flicking her bleached flat ironed hair. A thick lair lip gloss coated her always moving mouth. They were hanging on to her every word, nodding their head eagerly. Almost taking notes on 'how to be the most popular girl in school'. 
"The only thing that she's actually good at is... you know." She said, in a girly accent.  Walking  confidently up to her own reflection. Immediately puckering her lips and fluffing her hair. Her eyes flickered momentarily in Meghan's direction.
"Oh, hey. Madison, how are you? It's been a while." She said in a piercing voice. "Did you hear that Jake's running for school president." Jake is Rose's boyfriend, having him in charge of the school, terrifies Meghan. You know, idiocy isn't a quality she wants in a person making decisions for the student body. "His whole campaign is to help the cheerleading team get new uniforms and also, he wants to help fund the football players, to like, to send them to championships." She said with a pride smile.