Chapter 9 - Food for Thought

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the characters in this story, they all belong to the writers and creators of The Vampire Diaries.

Eight people were currently sleeping in the Mikaelson residence. They had all planned to wake up and have breakfast together and then open their presents. It was Christmas Day and the first light had just made its way through the gaps in the curtains. The morning light brightened most the rooms of the mansion.

Elena and Bonnie were the first up. Elena didn't need too much sleep after becoming a vampire and even before her transition she hardly slept due to being hunted after. Being the doppelgänger was tiring work, she never really got out of the routine and always woke before everyone else.

Bonnie got the glasses, plates, bowls and placed them on the dining room table, she later add cutlery and fresh juice in a pitcher. She returned again and had another pitcher but this time it was full of blood. She had asked Elena to pour the Crimson liquid, she may be around vampires but she didn't want to have to deal with their habits up front.

Elena in the mean time was cooking. She had several things cooking at the same time. Bacon, sausages, eggs and many slices of toast. She had even gathered some buttered rolls, and if anyone fancies something different, cereal was available.

With her vampire hearing, Elena was able to hear movement upstairs. The household was starting to wake up and it was good timing as well, breakfast was only minutes away from being finished. She felt a pair of arms around her waist, they fit so perfectly that she knew it had to be only one person, Elijah.

"Good morning..." Elijah leaned his chin on Elena's should and kissed her ear, whispering his morning greeting.

"Morning...Merry Christmas!" Elena chuckled lightly as Elijah kissed her neck, she turned in his arms and placing her arms around his neck, she pulled him down for a kiss. As soon as they separated Elijah smiled widely and said "Merry Christmas".

The closeness was soon interrupted as Kol's voice sounded through the kitchen. "Please keep it PG! I want to actually keep my food down" Bonnie hit Kol's arm and he faked being hurt by rubbing the area in a soothing manner.

"Shut up brother, we all heard you last night...what was it??...Oh that's right 'Unwrap me Bon Bon, I've been a good little boy this year', if anyone needs to keep it PG it's you." Rebekah interrupted. She had even used a comical voice on her quote.

Bonnie cheeks started to burn with embarrassment and Kol just shrugged retorting with "Klaus did the decorating, blame him for no soundproofing." Kol picked up a roll and took a bite and walked towards the dining room table.

"We're vampires Kol! Soundproofing doesn't work!" Rebekah huffed but took a seat opposite Kol.

Elijah was at one end of the table, with Elena to his right and Kol to his left. Matt was placed in between Elena and Rebekah. Klaus was at the other end of the table, Rebekah to his left and Caroline on his right. Bonnie was in the middle of Caroline and Kol. The table was full of cooked food, drinks and everyone was finally ready to eat.

Klaus cleared his throat and everyone's attention was on him. "I would first like to say Merry Christmas. It has been a roller coaster of sorts, but this will always be a day I won't forget." Klaus lifted his glass of warmed blood and the others followed.

They dug into the food and they had light chatter between them. Elijah sat back in his chair after he had eaten and just watched his family. The smile on his baby sisters face as Elena and Caroline talked about growing kindergarten together. Klaus kept looking at Caroline with adoration and Kol was teasing his brother. It was a sight to see and it truly showed that the holidays ready did bring the family together.