Chapter 6

I was running as fast as I could. My breath was coming out in short puffs; I could see it in the cold air. It was black everywhere, all I could see was dark misty air around me. The trees were flying past me in a blur, and the leaves were whipping my arms as I pumped them.

        I could here them yelling my name, but I kept running. The mud under my feet suddenly started to grow thick, and I could barely move. The light drizzle of rain turned into pouring, the thunder shaking the ground.

        I could here their pounding footsteps on the ground, chasing me, trying to find me, screaming my name. I couldn't move; I was sinking into the mud really fast now, and I could barely breathe. All I could hear was the footsteps, the shouting, calling my name. I curled up in the mud, covering my ears, but I could still hear the voices.

        "Autumn", "Autumn", they yelled.

        "Autumn! Wake up!" 

        My eyes shot open and I gasped. Sam was hovering over me. He had one hand on either side of my face, and out of the corner of my eye, I could see the glow of the cigarette in his hand.

        "What happened?" He asked.

        "Just a dream", I answered shakily. I had been having the same dream a lot lately.

        "Are you okay? You started screaming and curling up and I thought you were having a seizure."

        "I'm fine, but could you please get off of me, I can't breath?"

        "Oh shit yeah sorry"

        He jumped up and stuck his cigarette between his lips, then grabbed my hand and yanked me up. Right away, my knees buckled, and sam reached out an snaked his arm around my waist before I could fall.

        "Thanks",  I said breathlessly against his chest.

        "Hey, anytime, I gotta keep you safe until we get to Dylan's place", he replied.

         He was doing it again, knitting his eyebrows together. He must've noticed me looking at him, because he looked away and his jaw tensed.

        "We should keep going, we have to be there by sunrise"

        "Well then we should probably start walking", I said.

        Sam did something then that I hadn't expected. He smiled. It was only a small smile, but it was genuine; I could tell. It tugged at the corners of his mouth, and I could see his perfect white teeth.

He was a lot cuter when he smiled, I thought to myself.

        Did I really think he was cute? Did I feel something for Sam? A stranger? I did feel something between us when he stopped me from falling.

        Ehh, I was probably just tired. I rubbed my face with my hands, taking a deep breath.

        Then we took off, walking through the moonlit path.

        ~

        After about an hour of walking later, an enormous house came into view. It had a long, curved driveway leading up to a huge front entrance, and the pillars and stonework along the sides were amazing.

        Even though we were still a good 50 feet away, I could hear the music blasting through speakers somewhere in the house.

        As we came closer, I could see the red plastic cups that littered the grass around the property.

      "Dylan's kinda known for his huge ass house parties", Sam said, as we looked up at the masion looming in front of us.

        "I figured as much", I replied.

        This was not going to be fun.