Dinner Time

Andre, who had taken two bites out of his chicken leg, was now nibbling his mashed potatoes. The Wests, minus Jade who prodded at her string beans, seemed to enjoy their meals; however, their facial expressions said otherwise. Perhaps Ms. West could have cooked the elephant in the room for dinner instead.

"So, Andre," Ms. West abruptly prompted, 'Awhat are you studying at Hollywood Arts?" Though this question surprised him, Andre's eyes lit up like stars. Jade smiled slightly, relieved at a lift of tension.

"I'm really passionate about music. It's my main focus at Hollywood Arts."

"Oh, so you want to be a rapper, Trey?" Mr. West interjected, notably without any genuine interest. Jade furrowed her brows while Andre looked taken aback.

"No," Andre spoke carefully, not forgetting respect. "I'm more of an R&B guy. And my name is Andre." Surely his name was not that difficult to remember. Mr. West's former wife just remembered it. She was also quick to move the conversation forward.

"That's lovely," her enthusiasm was sheepish and forced. "Why don't you tell us how you got into music?" Jade rested her chin on her fist. Her mom was trying way too hard, and did not realize how annoying she was being. That irritated Jade even further, but at least her mom was being nice to her boyfriend. It seemed Andre acknowledged this as well, since he kept things friendly with her and ignored Jade's stone faced father.

"My mom was the one who got me into it," Andre began. "She was a whole melophile. Loved every music genre and every instrument. Even taught me how to play a few." Jade noticed the wistful turn his tone took. She winced in anticipation, for she knew what was next.

"But she passed away when I was a little," the young musician's voice was low. Jade slid her hand into his under the table, and his closed around it. The couple did not talk about their families that much, but they both had good reasons. Andre's was rather complicated and Jade simply did not like hers. Ms. West's features morphed into a sympathetic frown.

"I'm so sorry, dear," she consoled.

"It's alright. Thank you." Andre's response was more laid back than Jade expected. He gave his girlfriend's mother an appreciating smile, and she returned it with warm one.

"What about your father?" Mr. West abruptly inquired. He had clearly caught Andre off guard, for the musician stuttered a bit when he began to speak.

"Oh, uh, we kinda grew apart after my mom passed. He preferred I didn't pursue music, so we weren't that close to begin with." Her beau was now visibly uncomfortable, and Jade sent a dirty scowl at the culprit. How could her father possibly make things any more awkward?

"Can't say that surprises me," Mr. West took an inappropriately indifferent sip of his tea. His ex-wife stared at him with dismayed surprise, Andre raised an eyebrow, and Jade was sorry she asked.

"What do you mean by that?" Andre's tone was cautious. It seemed he was nearing his limits.

"Nothing in particular," Mr. West shrugged off the question. He would not meet the singer's eyes, those which were slightly narrowed at him.

"Hey, Andre," Ms. West once again scrambled to change the subject. "Since you are set on being a musician, do you know what record company you'd want to join?" Ms. West had been nothing but kind to him all evening, so he decided to try and keep his aggrieved vehemence toward her former husband (whom Andre could see why she split from) out of his voice. Despite this his best efforts, it still was not very effective.

"I have actually," he almost grumbled. "I performed in front of an agent from Sony Music Entertainment, and I think I have a pretty good shot at being signed with them after I graduate." The young maestro recalled the embarrassment and pique he felt after almost losing his deal with the label following his atrocious performance as a Diddly-Bop. But his tone relaxed when reminiscing about winning back the label's admiration. Of course, Andre left out that first part when explaining the story to his lover's parents.

"Wow," Ms. West gushed. "So you're quite talented and you seem to have so much figured out at such a young age. Color me impressed, young man."

Color me impressed? Jade thought as she subtly cringed. Her mother's outdated diction embarrassed her, but the prickly screenplay writer would let it slide this time, only because her mom was more than pleasurable to her beloved. Plus, Andre did not seem to mind it at all.

"Thank you, Ms. West," Andre accepted her compliments quite humbly, impressing Jade's mother even further. It looked as though the evening would have an enjoyable conclusion.

"Don't get your head caught up in the clouds, young man," Mr. West began, proving everyone wrong. "I see you ending up working in a field, maybe making some t-shirts if you do." Andre's eyebrows shot up like a rocket, and had Ms. West's eyes widened any more, they might have popped out of her head.

"Ex-cuse me?" Andre spat, barely containing his fury.

"Dad!"Jade cried. She appeared horrified just like her mother, though if looks could kill, Jade would have brutally slain her father.

"I'm just stating simple probability," his shrug showcased sickening apathy. Andre saw this in his eyes as well, when the man finally raised them to his own. The student took a deep breath, laced with rage, through his nose. Ms. West gestured as if she were about to once again try to alleviate the atmosphere, but Andre halted her before she could speak by rising from his chair.

"Ms. West, you've been delightful the whole night. Thank you for that." He then directed his attention to the man who had done nothing but affront him all evening.

"God bless you, sir," he juxtaposed the benevolent phrase with the venom he filled it with. He then stalked out of the dining room toward the front door. Jade cursed her father with the expression on her face and hurried after her scorned sweetheart.

"Andre! Wait," she called to him desperately while he had his hand on the doorknob. He turned only his head toward her first, and the way he looked at her made her heart feel like cement. But then he gently grasped her hands with his own.

"Look, Jade," now he sounded wearied more than anything else. "I can take so much until I've had enough." He cupped her chin with his fingertips and planted a soft kiss on her cheek.

"But I hope you know I don't blame you," he faced and opened the door again as her lips quivered. "Maybe we can talk later."

And he was gone with the click of the closing door echoing in her ears.