Prologue

Jade sat on her bed in her dark den. She had on her lamp light, but only because she was reading a scissor magazine. She chuckled to herself as she remembered telling Tori that the main character in her favorite horror movie killed the pretty one first. Suddenly, her phone rang, and before she even looked to see who it was, she found herself blushing while smiling from ear to ear. Jade was supposed to be a tough chick. To have a stone cold persona. Yet here she was feeling her heart melt when he merely called. He still had this effect when they'd been together for months.

"Hey," Jade cooed. "You usually don't call this late."

"Well," her boyfriend, Andre practically whispered with his velvety voice. "You know. The weather is almost as gorgeous as you, and you can see every star in the sky. The night was almost perfect. Now it is, because I get to hear your voice."

"Shut up," Jade responded playfully, prompting an amused chuckle from Andre.

"I can hear you smiling."

"How is that possible?"

"See- I actually don't know." Now it was Jade's turn to laugh.

"You're so stupid," she said it playfully. "So, what're you doing? Did you study for that quiz in your production class?"

"Yeah I did," Andre exulted. "And I just helped my grandma make some tea. I just hope it helps her calm down a little."

"ANDRE!" Andre's grandma, Charlotte, suddenly shrieked, startling Jade. "I THINK MARIAH CAREY IS IN THE KITCHEN."

"Grandma that's the tea whistling! It's ready for you pour!" Andre groaned.

"OKAY, ANDRE!" Charlotte called back. Her grandson heaved a sigh while Jade covered her mouth trying to muffle her chortles.

"I know you're laughing at me," Andre grouched jokingly.

"No, I'm not," his girlfriend teased.

"Now, where were-"

"OWWWW," Charlotte hollered. "ANDRE! THERE'S LAVA IN THIS TEA KETTLE!"

"Oh my-" Andre heaved sigh. "Sorry, baby. I'm gonna have to call you back later."

"That's ok. I'd hang up to meet Mariah Carey if she was in my kitchen too."

"Har dee har har har," Andre feigned amusement. "I love you, Jade."

"I love you too, Andre." She smiled at her phone briefly before putting it on her desk, turning off her lamp, and getting cozy into her bed. She still felt butterflies in her tummy as she tried to sleep.

Until she heard a knock on her bedroom door.

"Jade, can I come in?" Her mom called.

"No," now she would've sounded normal to her friends. And of course, her mom came in anyway.

"You sounded so happy on the phone just now," her mom gushed. It made Jade sick.

"Were you eavesdropping?" Jade asked indignantly.

"No, of course not!" Her mom hurried. "But I'm glad you and Beck have patched things up." Jade rolled her eyes so far back her mom thought they'd get stuck. Then she sank into her bed with her back to her mom.

"It wasn't Beck," Jade responded, clearly annoyed. Her mom furrowed her brows in confusion.

"Then who was it?"