Trepidation

Her father's house was a small, but cozy bungalow. The room where the entrance was included inviting couches, and the walls were adorned with picture frames of him and his new family. Despite the warm ambiance of the house, Jade always felt like a prisoner there. She glared at the pictures in spite when she first walked in, and now busied herself with setting the table. Normally she would never help with anything at her own house let alone her dad's, but she was still anxious about her boyfriend meeting her parents. Suddenly her mother, Ms. West sauntered into the dinging room carrying a tad too brown chicken.

"Jade, sweetie. Could you help me bring the sides to the table?" she asked sweetly.

"Yeah, whatever," Jade muttered. Whatever happened this evening would be her mother's fault. She just had to poke her nose into Jade's business after she got off the phone two nights ago.  

"Aw, are you a little nervous for us to meet your sweetheart?" Ms. West eyes twinkled when she said the last word. Jade felt bile rising in her throat as her cheeks burned. 

"Don't ever call him that again," she snapped. "You had better not embarrass me in front of him. I'm already worried enough about Dad."

As if summoned, Mr. West strolled into the kitchen without his son trailing behind him. 

"Hey, Thomas," Ms. West greeted her ex-husband by giving him a brief hug, while Jade deliberately ignored him. "Where are Becky and little Jason?"

"Becky took him with her to the hair salon, so they won't be joining us for dinner." 

Finally some good news, Jade thought. She was not too fond of her father's new wife or her younger half-brother. After all, whatever time and effort Mr. West could put into his relationship with her, he always spent with them instead. Not that she cared, anyway. Ms. West glanced at Jade, who had finished setting the table, was now sitting and fiddling with a fork. She kept her eyes locked on it and there was visible strain on her face as she kept her mouth in a thin line. Ms. West then looked back at her former spouse with nervous wide eyes.

"Well, I guess I'll get the rest of the sides," then she scurried out of the kitchen. 

Coward, Jade frowned even more. Mr. West rolled her eyes as he watched her leave. Then he pulled the chair right next to her forward and sat down nonchalantly. 

"Hi, Jade," he already sounded exhausted. His daughter heaved a sigh as she looked up to face him.   

"Hi, dad." 

"Have you written any more plays since the last one I watched. It was really good."

"I've been working on some," though he was trying painfully hard to make conversation he was still at least trying, so Jade kept the discontent out of her voice. Ms. West hurried in and out with different dishes, including lumpy looking mashed potatoes and green beans that appeared raw. 

"Well, that's good... Are you ever going to get rid of those piercings?" And the moment was gone before it arrived. 

"Nope." she successfully hid her respite when the doorbell suddenly rang. As much as she dreaded the moment Andre would meet her parents, she would be happy to have him with her. 

"I'll get it," Jade promptly stood up and walked briskly over to the door. All her nerves melted away and she found her smiling before she opened it. Her beau looked ravishingly handsome in a striking dark blue polo shirt and modestly professional slacks. She looked him up and down and bit her bottom lip. 

"My eyes are up here," Andre murmured softly. He miraculously remembered where he was and gave her a hug instead of embracing her the way he desired. As they walked back into the kitchen, each had one arm around the other's back. Jade pursed her lips and hoped her anxiety was not utterly evident. Ms. West had just finished placing the rest of the meal on the table while Mr. West was on his PearPhone. They looked up at the same time when the couple entered and froze. Her mother's jaw dropped and her father's eyes went wide. For probably the hundredth time that day, Jade took a deep breath before she spoke.

"Mom. Dad," her voice almost included a warning. "This is my boyfriend, Andre." Her parents blinked at him. 

"Nice to meet you Mr. and Ms. West," Andre's unease was impossible to hide. Ms. West cleared her throat, and smiled at him. 

"It's nice to meet you too, dear," she shook his hand too enthusiastically on loop. Jade grimaced as Andre kept an awkward smile plastered on his face. Mr. West continued to stare at the three of them almost without blinking. 

Jade decided this would definitely be one of her more interesting family dinners.