Chapter 67

Andrew looked down on the table.  There was a rough triangle staked out, with its points anchored by a bishop and a pawn at one peak, a king and a rook at another and a knight at the third.

Three men and two boys.  “So, everybody is clear on what you need to do?”

The others nodded.  “You plan carefully, Mr. Spears.  You’re sure they’ll be there?”

“Lady Torrington assures me they will be.”

“Well, what could go wrong, then?”  Earl Irvine started to laugh.

Andrew shrugged.  “It’s the best I’ve been able to come up with.  I’d be open to alternate suggestions.”

“No, it’s brilliant.  We’re all playing your game; you should be represented by the queen.  I predict this will become a highland legend…that is, if it works.”

“I’m going to make it work.”

“That’s what I love about you, Mr. Spears. Now if you’ll permit me to change the subject…”

“Of course.  New Zealand.”

“Exactly.  If you would be so kind as to tell my brother about the land and the people and what he might expect there, I would be most grateful.”

Katherine had lived a near-obscure life, alone, for many years prior.  After that Tuesday afternoon, she was almost ready to go back to it.

Tuesday afternoon was the time she was supposed to receive callers, but hardly anyone ever came to call and Katherine had gotten used to the quiet, free time during those periods. 

The consecutive calls that day by Reverend Shanks, Lady Margaret and Fiona were happy and supportive, but the last call by Agnes Ayson was – in a word - stressful.  She couldn’t articulate it, but their relationship had changed since Ceana had stormed out of the Tower. Katherine vaguely felt her status with the woman had changed to “on approval”, and she badly wanted Andrew there, the way they had been together on Saturday evening.

Andrew was off to Torrington Estate to see her brother, though, and she faced his dear friend Agnes alone.  The odd thing was, though, the tension didn’t start until Ceana entered the room.  Mrs. Ayson took a slightly too long look at the aesthetic dress the girl was wearing. Then she produced a new pair of shoes for Ceana.

The shoes were exquisitely made from beautiful leather; understated, elegant and built on a last that was the perfect model of the girl’s feet.  Katherine imagined they were the sort of shoes worn by women who were secure and comfortable in being really, really rich.  Mrs. Ayson said she’d had them custom made, and casually offered she hoped Ceana would like them.

The girl put the shoes on and Katherine tried not to stare at them.  Katherine knew then that Agnes had come to care for the girl as well – and care for her enough that she considered how Katherine was treating Ceana to be a legitimate personal concern. 

It was a worry, but it didn’t change any of Katherine’s plans.  It was Andrew, not Agnes Ayson, who was the key to their future now.  Katherine just had to hope her brother wouldn’t murder Andrew.

They were screened by a row of small trees from the bridal path, but had a good view of the approach.  Andrew looked over at the Campbells and spoke in a soft, calm voice.  “We are but warriors for the working day, eh?”