Chapter 57

Married.

Andrew.

Andrew was married.

Whenever she tried to express emotion, he’d make a joke.  He was circumspect.  There had been signs.

No!  His curiously incomplete life story during their trip.  The gifts.  The kisses!  He’d led her on, deceived her.  His behavior had been inexcusable.  She never wanted to see him again.

He had a wife he wrote to every week.

She had another revelation: the doll in his room at the Wallace was for his daughter.

His tenderness, his generosity, his kindness, his laughter – all those things she loved – rightly belonged to another woman, not her.  Those things weren’t going to be hers.  Ever.

She tried to cry silently, but in the close confines of the landaulette Fiona was soon aware of her tears.  When the young woman reached out and took her hand, Katherine’s emotions burst and she began sobbing.

By the time the landaulette arrived at the tower, Katherine had run through her entire supply of tears and exhausted her store of emotion.  She numbly leaned on Fiona as Ceana held the lamp aloft and the front door open.  By the time Ceana got the door locked behind them, the women had disappeared up the stairs. 

Katherine was fumbling with the many buttons and ties that held her in the beautiful green dress when the girl entered the room.  Katherine dropped her hands in silence as Ceana took up the task of undressing her.  The sudden inrush of breath as the corset was removed seemed to revive Katherine, and she directed the girl to go help Miss Pollard in the guest bedroom.

Ceana tapped on the door, announced herself and was called in.  She noted Miss Pollard looked almost but not quite as haggard as the Tower’s mistress. Ceana screwed up her courage.  “Is Miss Cameron unwell?”

“What?” Fiona asked distractedly as the girl helped remove the riding habit.  “Oh, you’re such a kind girl to ask.  It’s about Mr. Spears.  He’s, well, he’s gone now, so…oh, don’t worry about Miss Cameron.  She’s a strong woman.  She’s the strongest and most independent woman I know.  She’ll be fine.”

Ceana offered to fetch bath water, tea, another candle, a quilt and any number of other items for the guest, but was turned down and dismissed.  She slipped out into the hall and closed the door.  Mr. Spears had promised her that he would only be gone one and a half to two and a half weeks, depending on the weather and winds.  She couldn’t imagine any man more deserving of not one but two women feeling distraught over such a short absence as Mr. Spears, the man she worshiped.

She squeezed her eyes closed with a big smile and little shiver as she thought about her benevolent benefactor.  Mr. Spears liked Miss Cameron, so Ceana would take especially good care of her for him until his return.  To that end, she slipped back down the stairs and entered Miss Cameron’s room with a soft “Anything else, ma’am?”  Ceana started at what she saw.

Miss Cameron still stood exactly as Ceana had left her: in front of her looking glass in her chemise, drawers, stockings…and the pearl necklace.  The silence flowed and swirled around and between her and Ceana.

“Take them off me.”

Miss Cameron’s voice sounded strange and distant.  Ceana walked to her and knelt down to unfasten the ribbon garters and roll the stockings off her legs.