Chapter 63

Andrew sat at the Ayson’s dinning table, eating breakfast and sharing the newspaper with Ian.  Andrew considered the food.  “This is really good toast.”

Ian’s voice came from behind the paper.  “The secret is in the bread.  I’ll pass along your compliment to our cook.”

“Do.”  They returned to silently chewing the breakfast and the news.

Agnes swept in.  “Good morning, husband.  Andrew, darling, how are you feeling today?”

Ian continued to read the paper.  Andrew blew her a kiss.  “Stellar, love.  Wonderful to be here in your home, as always.  I suppose your worse half filled you in on the North Wind’s triumphal return?”

“Yes, including the part about the idiot owner who attempted to become one with the frozen cargo.”

“Hmph, well, you’ve only heard one side of the story, Agnes.”

She smiled lovingly.  “Andrew, I have a surprise for you.”

At this, Ian laid the paper down and looked back and forth between Andrew and his wife.  Andrew looked back at Ian and shrugged his shoulders.

There was a noise at the door and they turned to look.  Andrew’s brain wheeled through all recognitions and possibilities, and his eyes popped open at the solution presented.  “Princess!”

Ceana walked happily into the room but stopped dead when she saw Mr. Spears.  Only for a moment, though, and then she accelerated at full tilt across the dinning room and threw her arms around him, knocking his chair back.  “Mr. Spears!  Mr. Spears!  You’ve come back!”

She jumped away just as suddenly, holding him by the shoulders at arms length.  “You’ve not been well!  I can tell.”  She turned to Mrs. Ayson with alarm.  “He isn’t well!”

“It has passed, Princess.  I’m on my way to recovery.  But let’s look at you!”

Ceana dutifully stepped away so he could take in her appearance.  “That pale yellow silk is perfect for you, Princess.  And your hair – it’s so much fancier than my braids.  You’re lovely.”

“It pleases Mrs. Ayson for me to dress this way.”

“Dear Princess, always wanting to please others.”  Spears gave her the smile she’d been missing for two weeks.

“It’s how young ladies your age should dress, Miss Spears.”

Ceana froze.  Andrew stared at Agnes. 

“Well, I had to call her something, Andrew.  I thought if it worked for Mary, it would work for this one, too.  Miss Spears, take your seat at the table and eat breakfast.”

Ian looked at his friend, his wife and the girl, and then disappeared behind the paper.

“Well, my, there’s clearly a lot I have to catch up on,” Andrew said meaningfully.  “One quick question for now.  Princess, why are you here?”

The girl looked down at her plate and grew still.  “I had to leave the Tower.”

It was funny, Andrew though.  When one’s heart crashes through the floor of their stomach, you’d think it would make enough noise that everyone would stop and stare.  No one did, though, because the cataclysm was silent. 

He took a bite of toast.  It was still wonderful, he just no longer cared that it was.

They ate breakfast quietly.  Andrew though if he didn’t engage his mind, he would start raving.  He looked at the girl.  “Ceana Spears.  How do you like that name?”