Chapter 9

Upon waking Monday Andrew was delighted by what looked to be a day of fine weather for his outing with Katherine, and armed with the information supplied by Ian, Andrew felt certain he could see her satisfied that day.

Of course his intellect and emotions continued to be at odds with one another over the course of their relationship.  He suspended the debate as he prepared for the outing – always best to minimize distractions and focus when you have a straight razor in your hand – and dressed as recommended by Agnes Ayson the evening before.  He considered his reflection in the mirror and thought Miss Cameron should be satisfied.

Andrew had arranged with the stable for a tilbury and Cleveland Bay.  The gelding was not the best of its breed he’d ever seen, but for a hired animal quite a good one, and driving the rig promised to be more entertaining than subscribing a hansom for the day.

As he approached her home – straight down the drive it really did look like a tower - Andrew checked his watch and smiled.  He’d estimated the horse’s ability well and rolled up to Katherine’s door a few minutes before the appointed time.  He strode up to the door and his knock was still echoing on the door when a young man greeted him.  Well run household.

William repeated the line he’d been taught by his uncle, “Mr. Spears, sir, Miss Cameron will be down in a few moments.”

“That’s fine!  Where’s Forrester?”

“Umm – in the kitchen, sir.”

“Capital!”  Andrew breezed past William and headed down the stairs.

“Oh, sir!  Sir!  I think you’re supposed to wait up….”

Andrew spotted Forrester sitting at the corner of the big table in the kitchen.  “Ah, here you are.  How’s that leg, Forrester?  Don’t get up!”

“Oh, hello, sir.  Thank you, much better.”

“Still keeping your weight off it?”

“Yes sir.”

Andrew clapped him on the shoulder and then pulled out another chair, sitting down next to Forrester’s outstretched leg.  “Can we have a look at it?”

“Well – yes sir.  Does Miss Cameron know you’re down here, sir?”

“Well, if she can’t hear my voice I figure the young man up there can tell her.”  Andrew carefully unlaced Forrester’s boot and gently slipped it off, followed by the sock.  “Very good.  No discoloration and minimal swelling.  Does this hurt?”  Andrew carefully grasped Forrester’s foot and applied a tiny rotation.

“Only just a bit, sir.”

“And this?”

“Ah – that hurts more, sir,” said Forrester, shifting in his chair a bit.

“Very well, Forrester.  I sticking with the diagnosis of a nasty sprain, and I’d encourage you to continue to keep your weight off it until at least the end of this week - and keep it laced in that boot too.”

At the sound of the back door opening they turned to see Mrs. MacVail frozen in her tracks.  They followed her gaze across the room to find Katherine silently standing at the bottom of the stairway opposite, surveying the scene in her kitchen with a wry smile.  “By all means, everyone, please carry on as you were,” she said.

“Hello, Miss Cameron,” Andrew said without rising.  He began to roll Forrester’s sock back on.

“I can do that, sir.”