sixteen..

Kyleah

I sat outside of my advisor's office waiting my turn. I had already picked out my classes, I'm just waiting to get my official schedule. Kirsten wiggled around in the seat beside me like she had ants in her pants. She hated to stay still. She was out of school today for a "Staff Development". I never understood why kids started school only to be out two weeks later. I pinched her arm.

"Ouch!" She cried out. She had her lip poked out.

"Be still or we'll go straight home after this." She folded her arms and sat all the way back in her chair. I pulled the iPad from my purse and handed it to her.

We'd been in here for an hour and I was growing impatient. I walked to the receptionist desk.

"Excuse me, do you know how much longer? I don't need to talk to him, I just need to get my schedule."

The lady looked up from her desk and smiled. "I can print that for you. What's your student id number?"

"6069067... Last name Carter," I said looking over my shoulder. Kirsten was occupied with the tablet. Damn I should of given it to her an hour ago. I turned back around just as the printer started up.

"Here you are sweetie," she said handing me the printed schedule. I thanked her and walked back over to Kirsten. I rolled my eyes when I saw Ant sitting in my seat. Him and K were having their own little conversation and giggling. "Lord, why does my daughter have to be so social?" I mumbled to myself.

"Wassam Leah?"

"You're not supposed to call her that," Kirsten said in a whisper.

"I think I'll be okay," he whispered back then looked at me. I folded my arms across my chest. "How did you know I'd be here?" I raised a brow.

He stood up, adjusting his SnapBack to where it was barely on his head. "Well, I went to your job looking for you and they said you'd be here."

Snitches.

"And since you don't work today, yes I already asked that too, & lil mama out of school, I was thinking we'd go to the mall. Ya know, play catch up."

Kirsten had already put the iPad away and was now hanging onto my arm, pleading. "Please, please, please Mommy!! We don't nnneeeevvvveeeerrrrrr get out. Please?"

Oh my goshh! My child is so dramatic. I tried not to laugh but I couldn't help it. I looked up at Ant who was smiling as well. There was a moment. We just looked into each other's eyes for a split second. I cleared my throat as I looked away.

"Fine, we can go," I said more to Kirsten than Ant. I didn't like the fact that he tried to use my own child against me. Houston here we come

::

Tired was an understatement. We'd been in almost every store you could think of, just to pass time. Between Kirsten and Ant, I felt like I had two children who just ran around and played. It was nice though because I hadn't seen her laugh like this in a while.

We were sitting on the bench watching Kirsten play in the kids area. I could feel Ant burning a whole in the side of my face.

"Could you not do that?" I asked, not looking in his direction. He chuckled and he took a sip of his drink. "Do what exactly?" I turned to face him. "That." I pointed out the fact that he was staring.

"My bad. I'm just taking in your beauty. I don't know when you might dip out on a nigga again."

I mentally rolled my eyes. I guess I had that coming. "I said goodbye."