eleven..

Austin

I walked into the hospital room after my mom left out. I looked at my sister and the tears gathered in my eyes. I felt like I was letting her down. I was her protector, her safe zone and I couldn't even prevent this. I always have been by her side. We clashed yeah, but what siblings don't. I grabbed her hand in mine and caressed it.

"I know what happened today. I talked to dad and he told me that uncle Rodney got out on parole."

I had gotten out of practice early that day and came home to find my sister unconscious and my "so called uncle" on top of her. Protective instincts took over and I started beating that nigga ass with all I had. I then called my dad. I always knew something was wrong because Leah would tense up every time he's around and my mama, always fanned it off.

After that day, nothing was the same. My parents tried to hold on to their marriage but when he found out that my mom knew but didn't say anything, that was the last straw.

"Leah, wake up sis. I need you. You and my niece the only two that keep me sane. I can't lose you. Not like this." Tears fell as I bowed my head and said a silent prayer.

Ms. Breedlove

"I should have known this was going to happen. Damn, can you do anything right?" Miguel, my ex husband, fussed thru the phone. I was calling to tell him about what happened to Leah but of course he turns it on me.

"Well Miguel, I can't turn back the hands of time, so don't start with me."

"I'm not but maybe if you'd listen, my daughter wouldn't be in this predicament. Me and Jen will be on the next flight out."

"You will not bring your whore around our children!" I yelled louder than I should have. I caught a few stares from people but I didn't care.

"Whore? She's my wife Rita! A better one than you were might I add and you will NOT disrespect her like that! Kirsten told me what you said!"

I sucked my teeth. I didn't have time for his sh*t at all. "Whatever Miguel!"

"Let me know when she wakes up!" Click.

I sighed and tossed my phone in my bag. What a hell of a day this has been. I need a drink.

Maddison

I sat in bed crying my eyes out. I had no idea what was going on with my best friend and I was honestly scared to find out. I grabbed my phone and text Ant.

Me: any news?

Ant: na, I'm still in the waiting area.

Me: you staying up there?

Ant: Na, prolly gon head out in a min but I'll be back up here in the morning.

Me: cool, lemme know if anything changes.

Ant: fa sho.

I sat my phone down and rested my chin in my hands. I just hope my bestfriend is okay.

God please let her be okay.

Anthony

It was about 11 o'clock when Austin brought me home. He said he'd let me know when she woke up. They was the most scariest shxt I've seen in my whole 16 years of living. I mean yeah, people pass out all the time but I've never actually witnessed it. It changed my whole mindset.

I walked in, taking my shoes off and headed to the living room where my mama and Adrianne were. They both looked at me with sadness in their eyes.

"You okay?" my sister asked as I sat in between the two. I simple nodded. I didn't know if I was okay or not. I just know I almost lost my bestfriend.

"What they say?" My mama asked, rubbing my shoulder.

"Just that she had a panic attack or whatever and that she resting."

"Did they say how or why?"

I shook my head no. "Na, they waiting on ha to wake up so she can tell em. She was zoned out in class today but I thought she was just tired. I was talking to her right befo' and she said she was going to the nurse office then it happened." I paused for a min to get myself together. I was hurting for her, for Austin cause they close and I know what he going thru.

"Seeing that sh- stuff happen in front of me, it messed me up man." I shook my head. I ran my hands down my face and sighed.

"It's gon be okay Ant. Just pray." I nodded as I kissed her and my mama's forehead and got off the couch. I went upstairs to my room and laid across my bed. My mind went back to school. I knew something was wrong but I just couldn't figure out what. I just remember her looking at her phone then saying she was going to see the nurse. Next thing I know I'm diving on the floor to catch her head from hitting the ground.

A light tap on my door interrupted my thoughts. "Yeah!" I mumbled, mostly because my pillow was over my mouth.

My sister walked in with the iPad, handing it to me. I looked at her confused as she had a smirk on her face. Looking at the screen I could see Leah's mom. She was in the room with Leah.

"I know how you guys like to facetime and fall asleep so I figured you could be the first face she sees when she wakes up." She gave a faint smile. I knew she was hurting but tried to hid it.

"Thank you Ms. Breedlove. I really appreciate that." She sat the iPad up against something so that the camera was directly on Leah. She still had the little breathing thang over her mouth but other than that she was still my Leah. I figured ha mama had left already so I took this opportunity to talk to her. Iono if she could hear me but I needed to vent.

"You know yo lil peanut head a** scared me today." I laughed to myself because I knew she'd probably say something smart if she heard me. "Ion like seeing you like this ma. It's killing me, like I wish I could take the pain for you. You gotta open up to me. You my best friend and vice versa and I'm a always be here undastand?

Don't quit on me now mama. I gotta show you off to the world still. Remember when we first met and I took you to the house party and the cops showed up? Yo ass fell asleep in my arms standing up and left me hanging. They thought I was tryna kidnap you," I laughed at the memory.

"And the times you would be mad at me but Kirsten always wanted to be around me. You told me I was stealing your little sister from you. I love that little girl tho. She can put a smile on my face like that. Like today, she didn't even realize it but she kept me calm." I yawned and blinked a few times, fighting my sleep.

"One day, I hope to have a daughter that can change my whole mood like that. Until then, your little sister is my step daughter. Tell your mama to hand her over," I laughed.

"But in all seriousness, I care for you and I want you to know that." I yawned once more before connecting my head to the pillow and going into a deep slumber....