The Vain Countess

Countess Veronique Dubare was a beautiful and vain woman. With dark brown hair that fell in volumes down her back and enchanting emerald eyes, she enraptured any man who looked upon her. It had all but warped her ego. No woman was pretty enough to compete with her in her mind. No woman but the new queen-to-be. Veronique felt intense jealousy fill up her gut when she looked at the woman who stood at the King’s side. She frowned at the thought. Alaric was the only man she had met that was handsome enough to stand next to her and he was marrying some unknown harlot.

“Countess,” Alaric greeted as he led Calira into the parlor. Calira’s pretty face was set in a deep scowl. She wasn’t happy.

“You’re majesty. I wasn’t aware I would be in your company as well. I’m quite honored,” Veronique gushed as she rose to her feet, intent on touching the King. Just before her fingers could brush his tanned flesh, Calira pulled her fiancée away and put herself between them.

“He isn’t staying. I still haven’t quite grasped the layout of the castle and he was kind enough to escort me. However, he has a very important meeting, so we can’t keep him,” Calira replied as she feigned a smile for Veronique. It masked a sudden and unexplained anger. Calira’s blue eyes were hard as she regarded the dark haired woman with disdain. The Countess’s dress was low cut and offered little to the imagination. She kept moving her hand back to her exposed chest, drawing Alaric’s attention back to her creamy flesh. Calira smile became forced before she turned to Alaric, whose eyes were pinned to the Countess’s bosom.

“Well, that is a tragedy. But I understand,” Veronique sighed pitifully as she curved her lips into a flirty pout. Calira elbowed Alaric sharply in the ribs and he glared at her.

“Go,” she demanded softly. Alaric frowned before bowing.

“Alas, I must leave you two lovely ladies. Good day,” he remarked as Veronique curtsied and Calira rolled her eyes. Alaric smirked at the Countess before turning and walking out of the room swiftly.

Alaric sighed once he was out of the room. He could taste the anger around Calira. He smirked at the thought of how heated she had gotten at the sight of Countess Dubare. Suddenly, his joy waned. Why was he so happy that Calira had expressed jealousy over Countess Dubare?

After all, she was still the same, heartless assassin he had known for years. And he was still adamant about not wanting to take her as a wife.

No. He did not want her.

**

“You are very pretty,” Veronique remarked suddenly as Calira frowned.

“So?”  Calira responded with a simple shrug of her exposed shoulders. She sat across from the infamous Countess Dubare and the woman had tested every nerve in Calira.

“So a pretty girl like you must have a lot of suitors,” Veronique pushed. Calira rolled her eyes.

“Not really. Alaric is the only suitor that I am aware of,” she replied. Veronique’s eyes widened at Calira’s revelation and the informal tone she used when speaking of the new King of Venta.