The Coronation

Calira stood quiet outside the king’s chambers as Alaric ran his hand through his hair. He looked up and saw the conflict in her features. What the king had asked them to do went against everything he knew she had been taught as an assassin.

“Listen, Sarana…”

“Calira.” She corrected softly before sighing.

“My name is Calira.”  She added with her head bent down. Alaric stared at her before nodding.

“Calira…” He muttered as if to taste the flavor of her name on his lips. It felt odd, but he could get used to it. Calira gave another defeated sigh. She didn’t like giving up her identity, especially since she had accumulated a lot of enemies over the years.

“I’ll protect you.” Alaric watched the fear and worry race across his betrothed’s face. He didn’t like the vulnerability he saw in her features. Calira’s eyes widened as she looked up to her “fiancée”. It felt odd to consider him as such.

“I don’t need protection.” She growled lowly as he smirked.

“Sure.” He shrugged as he started to walk away. Calira watched him for a minute before following him, pulling her hood over her features.

The morning came too soon for both Calira and Alaric. Alaric groaned as he waited on his betrothed. After a page had to drag her from her safe house, she had been bombarded with ladies in waiting and forced to change. It had taken hours. He looked toward the balcony where he would make his announcement and then he looked toward the throne room where he would be coroneted.

“Presenting Princess Calira Sylenic…” A page bowed as Alaric turned just in time to see Calira walk out. She was in a navy blue dress with a low décolleté.  Her usually unruly curls had been tamed and hung up around her face, framing her eyes. She seemed to float across the granite floor as she walked toward him slowly. His eyes were wide as he studied her. Fear filled her icy eyes. She was out of her element and both of them knew it.

“You look…lovely.” Alaric mumbled as Calira frowned. She knew he didn’t want her to be here anymore than she did.

“Hmph. I look like an idiot. This dress is useless if someone tries to attack me. It’s too long to run and maneuver. It’s too tight to conceal any weapons.” She complained softly. Alaric chuckled.

“An assassin to the end then, I suppose?” He asked with a quirked eyebrow. Calira frowned.

“People will try to kill me. Do you not want me to be prepared?” She responded seriously. Alaric frowned.

“No one will harm you.” He promised as Calira scoffed.

“I’ve heard that before, and then I caused the harm. Assassins are trained to get past every possible defense.” She explained as Alaric smirked.

“You are an assassin, so you know what defenses are impenetrable.” He replied as she frowned deeply.

“No defense is impenetrable. Especially not with public figures.” She remarked bitterly. Alaric’s smirk fell as he saw the true fear in her eyes.

“They’ll go for you first.” He remarked as she nodded.

“Of course. It’s logical to take out the lesser threat first. Once I’m eliminated, you are next.” She replied in a matter of fact tone. Alaric knew he should take offense but he couldn’t muster up the anger. He knew what she spoke of was the truth. It was logical, cold and deadly. Suddenly he didn’t like putting Calira in the open any more than she did.

“I’ll protect you.” He swore again suddenly as Calira’s eyes widened. In all the years she had known the prince, he had only shown a sense of self-preservation. He had never been selfless, not even with his mistresses. Alaric frowned when he saw his betrothed’s skeptical look. She didn’t believe him. Hell, he didn’t believe himself. But he needed to say or do something to ease the dull ache that rose in his chest when he saw the vulnerability in Calira’s eyes. 

“I mean it.” He insisted as she shook her head.

“I told you already. I don’t need your protection. I can take care of myself.” She responded distantly. Alaric frowned. Calira took calming breaths before sighing in defeat.

“Let’s get this over with,” she mumbled darkly. Alaric nodded.  They walked slowly into the throne room. The high minister and priest stood before them as the rest of the court filed in. Calira could feel hundreds of eyes on her and she wrung her hands together. She didn’t have her weapons, but that didn’t mean she couldn’t be prepared.

“Presenting Prince Alaric and Princess Calira,” The high priest easily separated the couple as Alaric was led to the massive throne. Calira was led away to a side altar, separating her from Alaric. Calira felt panic rise in her gut. She didn’t understand the ceremonial processes that surrounded their marriage or his coronation. 

“Be calm, princess. This is only temporary,” the page consoled as he stood with his hands folded behind his back. Calira glared at him.

“Show me your hands,” she ordered, paranoia setting in. The page looked confused but did as she asked. No weapon, she decided as she watched the coronation from afar. Alaric searched the crowd for his bride-to-be and frowned when he found her standing in a side altar. If he remembered correctly, the princess and prince were supposed to stand beside one another during the coronation. He could see Calira panicking as she stood behind a page that was twice her size.

“Prince Alaric, you stand before your kingdom, prepared to take the crown,” The words drowned themselves in Alaric’s ears. He couldn’t face the high priest when his betrothed was clearly in distress. 

“Do you accept the responsibilities of being sole king of Ventra?” Alaric turned back to the high priest and nodded resolutely. His frail father smiled as the crown was taken from his head and placed upon his son’s. With a final blessing from the high priest, Alaric rose to his feet and strode toward Calira.

“Sire!” Someone objected as he pushed past them, intent on reaching his betrothed. While he did not want her, she was his. Calira stared at him as he stopped in front of her. From his pocket he withdrew a small dagger. Calira’s eyes widened as she remembered the weapon.

“You still…” She stopped mid-sentence as he placed it in her hands.

“Stop fidgeting, princess,” he replied as Calira’s fingers curled around the sheath. Alaric turned back to the court as they stared at him.

“This woman is my fiancée and your future queen!” He announced as Calira tightened her hold on the dagger.

“You will treat her with the respect you treat me!” Alaric warned before he turned back to Calira.

“And you will treat me with respect you treat my father,” he muttered lowly so no one else would hear. Calira stared at him for a moment, surprised by his tone. She nodded silently. Triscan watched the scene with a hint of pride. Alaric was beginning to understand how important Calira truly was.