Sickness Spreads

It took Alaric a few days to quell his fury at Calira and her bodyguard. In his mind, they had betrayed him and turned his father against him. Almost two weeks went by before he could bring himself to visit her. He stopped just outside of her door and glanced at Wesley who stood stoic and unrelenting against the wall.

“Is she in there?” Alaric asked softly, afraid his voice would betray the anger he felt at the sight of the man.

“She’s asleep. She didn’t feel well,” Wesley replied simply as Alaric’s eyes widened.

“She’s sick?”

“She doesn’t think she is, but she collapsed in the garden. She had a fever. I made her drink some herbal tea and she’s been asleep since then,” Wesley explained as Alaric stared at him. Although he was annoyed with Calira, he certainly didn’t like the idea of her being ill. It was enough that Triscan was sick.

“Did you not think to call for a doctor or me?” He growled. Wesley frowned at his accusation.

“She ordered me to do neither and I do as she wishes,” Wesley answered as he straightened his back and threw out his chest subtly. He and Alaric were both about the same height, but somehow Wesley managed to make himself seem larger than his ward’s betrothed.

“Let me speak to her,” Alaric demanded as Wesley shook his head.

“She is sleeping, your grace.”  Alaric wanted to strangle the man. Did the bodyguard not realize that it was due to Alaric’s good graces that he was still alive to protect Calira? Wesley remained stoic as he watched fury flash across Alaric’s features.

“Do you intend to defy me every time I demand something of you?” Alaric questioned furiously. Wesley frowned.

“If your demands do not take in the wellbeing of the Princess, then yes. She is my only concern. I care nothing about your pride or ego or petty demands,” Wesley answered as he folded his arms across his massive chest.  

“I am your King!”

“I hold no loyalty to Venta or its king. My loyalty is to Calira and Calira alone,” Wesley responded simply. His words were spoken with a conviction that stunned Alaric.

“She is my fiancée! So we are bonded!” Alaric remarked as Wesley scoffed.

“She is only your fiancée when it is convenient for you. The fact that you have surrounded her with viperous harlots who tease her and demean her position as your future wife shows me that you care very little for Princess Calira. If I had any say in the matter, I would demand this engagement be broken off,” Wesley replied darkly. Alaric glared at him.

“You have no right to criticize my actions, assassin. If you knew what Calira has done, you would not be so keen to put her on a pedestal,” Alaric hissed.  Wesley tensed for a brief moment before his features darkened.

“What she has done was done in service of the King. It was her job,” Wesley growled. Alaric froze as Wesley revealed his knowledge of Calira’s alternative life. Too angry to care if Alaric had known Calira was an assassin before their betrothal, Wesley glared at him.

“She told you about Sarana?”

“I noticed similarities,” Wesley answered. He watched Alaric’s face twist into a furious scowl. To further prove he wasn’t afraid of the king, Wesley continued to flaunt is knowledge of Calira’s past.

“And she trusted me with the truth. Did she do the same for you?” Wesley questioned as Alaric clenched his fists at his sides. He wasn’t going to tell the bodyguard that his father was the one to tell him and not Calira. He wouldn’t give the man the satisfaction. However before he could thrash the man, a violent bout of coughing and a hard thud erupted from behind the closed doors and distracted both the King and the bodyguard. Loud barking quickly followed. Before Wesley could stop him, Alaric pushed the doors open and stopped when he saw Calira sunken on the floor near her bed. Her dog continued to bark until he noticed the men standing in the doorway. It only took Alaric a moment before he was by her side. Her eyes were unfocused when she looked up at him and sweat poured down her skin.