8. Nonexistent restraining orders

33 days before

On Saturday morning, someone from the police station called Theo. We must of accidently given them his number instead of mine, but it didn't really matter.

"They've found Michael," Theo told me once he'd hung up. "But there isn't enough evidence to arrest him. They said we can try to get a restraining order if we want, but it's unlikely that we will, because there isn't enough evidence, which is bullshit."

"Theo, it's okay."

"No, Mad, it's not okay. I want him in jail!"

I took a step towards Theo. "I know, babe, I do too. But we'll be okay."

"I won't let him hurt you."

"I know you won't. Why don't you sit, and I'll make some coffee," I told him, and he went into the living room, still muttering about Michael.

As I put a colourful capsule into the coffee machine, I realized that the weird feeling that I couldn't dump was shock. I guess I had kind of been counting on the police to get rid of Michael, to arrest him or at least a restraining order. I mean, that's what they do right?

All day I had that feeling, the hopelessness and the uncertainity of what would happen now. Unsure what to do, I wandered from room to room, not really doing anything. After a bit, I had driven myself crazy so I decided to call Theo's sister, Quinn, and ask if she wanted to go shopping with me. Maybe I'd be able to get the last couple of things for my Halloween costume. I still needed to find a yellow skirt or pair of shorts, and a red cape type thing, or maybe I could make one...

"Sure, I'd love to! I was just sitting and moping, and that's so not good for your skin." Quinn said with a laugh. She had recently broken up with her boyfriend of three years, and was finding it harder than she expected, living alone.

"Great! I'll see you there in an hour?" I suggested.

"Yup... Do you want a ride? I don't mind, I have to drive past your place anyways."

She must of read all the stuff on the internet about the accident. "Sure, that would be so great, thanks. I was just going to get a ride from Theo, but he probably has better stuff to do," I said, smiling.

"Oh, you never know, he could be desperate to drive you to the mall," she said, and I laughed. "I'll see you in half an hour?"

"Sure, thanks. See you!"

"Byyyee, see you in a bit."

***

"Are you going to the youtuber halloween party thing in Sydney?" Quinn asks me as we look through a rack of sale items in Forever New.

"Yup! As a hipster Snow White." Oh good one, Madison. Just let the cat out of the bag. "Oh shit, that was meant to be a secret."

"Don't worry, I shan't post it on the internet and make millions by being the second person to know what Madison Shaw is going as for halloween."

"The second?"

"Well I'm guessing you told Laurel. And maybe Theo."

"Oh, right. Theo's probably forgotten though," I said with a laugh.

"Probably, knowing him." Quinn agreed. "Ooh! What do you think of this top?" She asked, holding up a lacy cropped top.

"It'd look really cute on you," I tell her. The tealishy colour would bring out her eyes. Quinn has really pretty eyes, like Theo's, but her eyelashes are so long you can hardly see them.

She looked at the tag on the top. "And never mind," she said, putting the top back on the clothing rack.

"How much is it?"