-7- Run Zhan, run

-7- Run Zhan, run

After a quiet and rather boring weekend, Zhan was ready for the new week. And for that he had already come up with a plan how to best avoid his new friend Yibo. His plan? To join a club! And preferably one that meets several times a week after class.

At first he thought about joining the choir. But then he decided against it, because the choir has its rehearsal room right next to the gym, where Yibo was, at least three times a week.

Then he thought about the theatre club. But he is too shy himself and wouldn't get a word out in front of an audience.

Next on the agenda were the art club and the club of the school newspaper. But, he didn't feel like both. He liked drawing, but not so much that he would necessarily join a club. And he was not interested in writing articles for the school paper.

So he didn't have much choice. There was the Home Economics Club, the Mystery Club, the Tennis Club and the Athletics Club. Zhan thought about what he would like to do most and then decided to join the athletics club. In particular, for running.

Although he would then also be near Yibo, but both areas are well separated from each other. So while Yibo is playing basketball in a fenced field, Zhan can go running on the running track. He just wasn't sure if it would be short distance running or long distance running. But for this choice, the coach would be responsible anyway and not he himself.

So on Monday morning, Zhan decided to register at the athletics club as soon as he arrived at school. He quickly ate his breakfast and left the apartment before his parents, in order to get to school as early as possible.

But when he arrived downstairs, a surprise was already waiting for him. His new friend stood at his car and was already waiting for him. Zhan rolled his eyes and would have loved to go back into the house. But as soon as Yibo had seen him, he ran towards Zhan and hugged him again. "It's good to finally see you again. I missed you this weekend." Yibo whispered to him.

" Ah haha. Yibo, what are you doing here?"

"I came to pick you up, what else? I decided, now that we are friends, I will pick you up every morning and take you home after school."

"Is that so?"

"Yes. That way we can get to know each other a bit better, don't you think?"

"Mn. Yeah. Sure we could. I don't know if we're gonna make it home together, though. I want to join a club."

"It doesn't matter. I can wait for you."

"No, you can't. I mean, you don't have to."

"No problem ZhanZhan, I'm happy to do it. Now come on, before we're late."

Yibo took Zhan by the hand and dragged him behind him to the car. Zhan had no choice, so he gave in. He got in the car and they drove to school together. Where Emily Qin, of all people, had already been standing in the parking lot waiting for Yibo.

And of course she was more than shocked when she saw Zhan getting out of Yibo's car. And even more shocked when Yibo put his arm on Zhan's shoulder and went with him to the school building. Emily Qin followed them secretly and was surprised that Yibo even showed Zhan where he could sign up for a club. She wondered when the two became friends.

During the breakfast break, Zhan realized he would not be able to get rid of Yibo just like that. Because as soon as the bell had rung, Yibo came into the classroom and brought breakfast for him and Zhan. He sat down next to Zhan and beamed all over his face while Zhan's classmates looked at them in confusion.

"ZhanZhan, I've brought you a vitamin juice, please drink it this time too."

"Yes, Yibo."

"And please eat it all up. It will make you stronger."

"Yes, Yibo."

"Zhan Zhan?"

"Mn?"

"Am I annoying you?"

"No, Yibo, why would you think that?

"Because you keep saying yes and saying my name so annoyingly. I don't like it when you say my name so annoyingly."

"I'm sorry. I just think it's a little weird to sit here and eat breakfast with everyone watching."

"You'd better get used to that fast. That's normal. By the way, I'm taking you to lunch today. My driver will bring us something freshly cooked."

"Oh?"

"Yes, not Oh. And ZhanZhan, I'll show you later where the club is. I don't think you know where their clubroom is."

"Okay. I thought the athletes meet on the field?"

"No. They have their own clubroom where they meet first and talk about what to train. Who's going to help and what to look out for."

"Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks."

" Do you think you can handle that? I mean, Health Wise."

"Yeah, that's no problem. I have my medication again and I can participate in sports without any problems."

"But if you feel dizzy or unwell in any way, you stop right away. I'll also give you my cell phone number, so you can call me if anything happens."

"Um, okay. I will."

Zhan was very surprised by this new side of Yibo. He never thought Yibo was such a nice guy and would worry so much about him.

He noticed that he felt comfortable with Yibo and that he was happy that Yibo took care of him and supported him. Not that he was or is dependent on anyone taking care of him. He just thought it was nice that Yibo did it. And so Zhan decided to throw away his plans from the weekend and give the friendship with Yibo a chance.

Although there was still the problem with his heart, because it was now finally clear to him that he had fallen in love with Yibo. But he hoped that once his heart understood that he and Yibo could only be friends, it would calm down again and the two could then have a good friendship.

At lunchtime Yibo picked up Zhan and after the driver brought them their freshly cooked lunch, the two of them sat on a bench near the school garden and ate their lunch together. Yibo talked almost non-stop about his hobby, motorcycling. And even though Zhan had no idea about it, he listened to him very eagerly and was happy when Yibo invited him to a motorcycle race for the U18 league.

"I'm taking part and I really want to win the race. And I want you to watch me win it."

"Okay, I'll be there and cheering for you." Zhan said, and Yibo was beaming with joy all over his face.

After the last lesson, Yibo took Zhan to the athletic club. The coach, as Yibo said, had first held a meeting and then asked Zhan to show what he was capable of.

There were many other students around the running track, including Yibo. And they all cheered Zhan on when they saw at what speed he ran after a perfect start and they all shouted loudly: "Run Zhan, run!" And the loudest one was Yibo.

The coach was thrilled with Zhan and decided to take him into the club and train Zhan for short and long distance running. "With you, we'll surely win a gold medal next time." He said to Zhan and patted him on the shoulder appreciatively.

After the club, Yibo was already waiting for Zhan. He hugged Zhan and congratulated him. But he also told him to be careful and to take care of himself. Then both ran to the car. And when they arrived at Zhan's house, Yibo hugged Zhan again and held him in his arms for almost a minute, stroking Zhan's back repeatedly. "I am glad that we are both friends ZhanZhan. I really like you a lot. See you tomorrow."

And with a raging heart, Zhan said goodbye and looked forward to the next morning when Yibo would pick him up again.