Chapter 17

Two days after the incident, Grace feels as though she should be wearing a tinfoil hat. She's found herself knee deep in news articles which speculate all about Arthur's life. Except they never refer to him by his name, she noticed. Always 'the prince'. As if Grace needed a constant reminder.

On her fifth article of the morning, Grace sighs heavily, flopping backward onto the soft sofa in Arthur's flat.

"What's wrong Misery-guts?" Richard enters the room with two turkey sandwiches and a tube of Pringles, "You know you'll get wrinkles if you frown so much."

Grace rolls her eyes, "And you'll get fat if you keep scoffing crisps like it's cocaine." She nudges him, a smirk on her face.

Rich shoots her a winning grin, "I'm breaking the rich kid stereotype, one snack at a time." He inhales about 5 crisps at once before continuing, "I might start a movement; 'Crisps Not Crack'. What do you think?"

Grace giggles and smiling wide, then reaches a hand into the Pringles tube, earning a smack from Rich. "It has a nice ring to it." She winks at him, munching on the crisp.

"We're back!" The door opens and Arthur enters with Bex in tow, "One latte for the brute, and one caramel hot chocolate for the fair maiden."

Grace grins and gets up to plant a sweet kiss on her boyfriend's cheek, taking the drinks from his hand.

"Aren't you supposed to be revising, not stuffing your face?" Arthur teases his cousin.

"Hey, it's easy to be distracted when your friends are living the high life. No exams, no worries." Rich sighs, "It's only a fantasy for me."

"Shut up," Bex laughs, "This time tomorrow, you'll be free as a bird."

"Oh I'll definitely be freeing some birds, alright."

"Richard!" Grace smacks his shoulder with a fond roll of her eyes.

"It's times like these that I really wish Will was here." Bex sighs.

"What? Why?" Rich furrows his brows in confusion.

Bex, Arthur, and Grace look at each other. It's obvious that each of them had very differing ways of approaching that question. But Grace is fastest.

"Because he keeps you in line." She shoots the other two a warning look, telling them not to react. It's almost a useless gesture, as Arthur looks as though he might bust a gut trying to hold in his laughter.

Rich, the dunce, responds with an understanding expression and a shallow shrug of his shoulders.

The other three sigh in relief. They are not opening up that can of worms today.

"Grace, you're a shit prison warden. You're supposed to make him study." Arthur teases her, sitting down on the armchair nearest to the sofa.

"Sorry, I'm a little out of it." Grace shrugs, "Besides, Rich's got this. He's got a smart little noggin." She raises her hand to rub Richard's head affectionately.

"Thanks, Mummy."

"If his noggin is anything, it's far from 'little'." Arthur snickers.

"Rude."

"Accurate." Bex piped up, sipping on her tea. Rich looks at her, incredulous, then the pair start to bicker.

"So," Arthur starts quietly, taking one of Grace's hands and lacing their fingers together,

"Are you excited?"

"For what?" She replies dumbly, staring at their intertwined hands.

Arthur rolls his eyes playfully, "For us to go back to London. You get to see your family... I get to see your family."

Grace's eyebrows shoot up in shock, though her eyes are still cast downwards.

"Sunshine.... You have thought about me meeting your family... right?" Arthur's eyes become thin slits, "because I've thought about you meeting mine."

"Y-you have?"

He frowns, "Of course. How are you supposed to be my future wife if my mother hasn't met you yet?"

"I-I..."

"You haven't thought about it." Arthur's entire face drops. He sighs and leans back in the chair, hand coming to rest on his face. "Is it too much? Am I smothering you? It's too much isn't it?"

"Arthur. Arthur. Breathe, baby." Grace tells him, taking his hand away from his face and squeezing it within her own. "It's just...Look, I'd love to meet your family."

"But?"

"But, obviously, things aren't that simple."

"Yes they are, Grace! You're the one that's making it complicated." He complains, with an exasperated roll of the eyes. He rises to his feet to stand over her.

"Yeah because your family's reputation makes things really easy for me." She says sarcastically.

"You're blaming your insecurities on my background?!"Arthur all but screeches.

Grace leaps up, her head tilted up to stare her boyfriend in the eye.

"You have no right to use my insecurities as an excuse to be ignorant!" She snarls at him, "Insecure or not, integrating me into your family isn't going to be as easy as saying 'Hey, mum, this is my girlfriend, love her please'!"

"Why not?!"

"Because I'm not good enough for you!" Grace screams passionately.

Silence. By now Richard and Rebecca are completely captivated by their fight. The only sounds in the room are from Arthur and Grace's heavy breathing. They're staring at each other, fire burning in their eyes.

Grace is furious. Being her; black, female, et cetera, there's a lot to be affected by in the world. She's learned to school her emotions. If every little thing got to her, she wouldn't make it through the day. But right now her stomach is in knots and her chest is being battered by the thrumming of her heart. She's not only angry, but embarrassed. She's said too much.

Without a word, she scoops up her phone and bag and storms out of the flat, slamming the door behind her.

A/N: short update guys but I'm planning to write another chapter by the end of the day.

Arthur and Grace's first fight :(

Serena x