Chapter 28

Chiffon or tulle.

Rebecca Simpson has a degree in English Literature, and she's currently stood on a box dressed like a wedding topper trying to decide between chiffon and tulle.

"How does that feel?" The retail assistant, Layla, asks, running her hands over the multiple layers of material flowing down Bex's body.

"Oh, uh..."Bex splutters, letting her fingers curl into the fabric. Is it chiffon or tulle? She has no idea. "It's nice."

Her mother scoffs, a judgmental eyebrow raised nearly to her hairline, "We don't want 'nice', Rebecca, we want the one."

The one, the voice in Bex's head mocks, causing her to smirk.

At her daughter's silence, Eliza continues, "Get the others, Lisa."

The assistant looks at her wide eyed and scurries off.

Bex watches her go sympathetically, then rolls her blue eyes, "Her name is Layla."

"I don't care as long as she helps you find a dress." Her mother dismisses, getting up to look at the display dresses adorned in jewels and lace.

"I'm not wearing one of those. I'm getting married, not sold at the fair like some show-pony." Bex grumbles, yanking on the dress she already has on.

"I got married in a dress like this, and I was awarded best in show." A confident voice jokes from out of nowhere.

The two women turn and lay eyes on the new presence in the bridal boutique.

In the doorway, in all of her regal glory, is Duchess Alexandra of Gloucester. She's in a white peacoat, her long dark hair is slicked back into a low ponytail, and her eyes are covered by giant black sunglasses which she takes off to look at the two women. She looks like a supermodel.

"Alexandra!" Eliza exclaims over-enthusiastically, getting up and rushing over to her, "It's been so long!"

The shorter woman envelopes the Duchess in a warm hug, as though they're old friends. Alexandra, out of courtesy, tentatively returns the embrace. Over Eliza's shoulder, she locks eyes with Rebecca, and gives her a long, suffering look and mouths 'Not long enough'.

Bex giggles silently, turning her head slightly to hide her face.

"It's a lovely dress," Alexandra comments, studying the younger woman's form, "but not on you. You need something less... poofy... this just swamps your figure."

Bex frowns. The duchess is right of course, Rebecca does look like a cupcake in this dress, but it's still not nice to hear.

She gives Alexandra a small smile and dismounts from the platform.

"I remember my wedding day." Alexandra starts, analysing Bex as she talks, "It was... magical."

Bex eyes the duchess warily, she has an uncharacteristically soft look on her face, and  it makes her feel very uneasy.

"I was so in love." She continues at the younger woman's silence, "I walked down that aisle, saw Arthur's father standing there, and felt nothing but pure love. He looked so handsome."

Alexandra pauses, her mouth twitching slightly with a frown, "On your wedding day, you're committing yourself to the person who makes your heart sore, who you would give with world to... You may not feel that for anyone at the moment but I hope that by the time the wedding comes around, you will be able to feel that for my son."

Bex feels her body go cold. The Duchess's words ring in her head, buzzing around like wasps. It would be lovely, to have that feeling as she commits herself to someone forever. The only problem is that as she pictures herself standing there, at the altar, she can imagine who is there with her. And it's not Arthur.