Epilogue

The hands in Grace's hair are delicate, deliberate. Carding through every section with the great care of a gardener to a fragile flower.

Grace lets her head be positioned accordingly, tilted this way and that, so that it can be placed at the perfect angle. On such an important day, it's vital that things go off without a hitch.

"Would you like the silver butterflies, or the white flower?" The hairdresser, Ama, asks. She's a plus sized woman with an impossibly beautiful, bright smile and deep, dark skin.

Grace looks up at her as best she can, and is met with a sweet, but expectant expression, "Um, which type of flower is it?" She asks.

"A white lily. I was told you like them?" On cue, Ama pulls the accessory out of her belongings and drops it into Grace's hands.

Grace lets out a fond smile and caresses the flower gently, "Yes. They're my favourite." She hands the lily back to the hairdresser, "I'll have the lily then."

"Always good to match." Ama comments, "Will he be wearing a lily too?"

"Yep." Grace confirms as she once again allows the cloud on her head to be manipulated, "A calla lily, though. I love every type of lily, but he knows that those are my number one."

"How sweet." Ama gushes, squeezing Grace's shoulders affectionately, "I have to say, it's very refreshing that you've chosen to go au naturelle for this. It's quite common for women to want 'neat' hair for this sort of occasion." She audibly scoffs at the word 'neat' and continues, "But here you are going natural and looking beautiful doing it."

Grace grins sheepishly and raises one hand to squeeze Ama's.

"He asked me once if I could wear my natural hair in front of him. I didn't bother telling him that I wasn't trying to hide it. The weather where we lived was not kind on these coils." Grace giggles, "But either way, I think he'll appreciate it."

"Absolutely," Ama nods emphatically as she sections some of Grace's hair and pins it back with a large sparkly silver hairclip, "He's a very lucky man."

"Thank you." Grace responds sincerely, tilting her head so that Ama can fasten the tiger lily to the space cleared by the clips.

"All done!" Ama announces happily while spraying some hydrating spray all over Grace's head, "You look stunning."

Taking a long look in the mirror, Grace sighs happily and stands, rushing to give Ama a warm hug, "Thank you so much! I've never felt more beautiful."

"My pleasure, dear." Ama grips her back, "Be careful now. Don't ruin my hard work."

Abruptly, Grace pulls back, hands clasped onto the sides of Ama's arms. She grins at her with a giddy laugh, and nods obediently.

"Is that my beautiful daughter I hear?" Fiona's smooth voice calls from the outside the room's door. She knocks once, then enters at Grace's approval.

She gasps loudly when she sets eyes on her daughter, "Oh... Oh Grace. You haven't even put on the dress and I'm about to well up."

"Mum!" Grace whines, but smiles anyway, walking over to her mum and giving her a tight but brief hug, "I take it you like it then?"

"Understatement of the year." Fiona rolls her eyes, then scurries into the closet where Grace's dress is hanging on its own, "It's just as beautiful as I remember."

"I know." Grace agrees, "Hopefully I can do it justice."

Fiona scoffs, taking the dress off of its hook and bringing it to her daughter, "Without a doubt."